[SOLVED] Can 3.0 USB cable be connected to a motherboard 3.1 connector

XavTheOne

Honorable
Feb 19, 2014
Case: Fractal Design Define S2
Motherboard: Asus Rog Strix Z-390F

I already connected my cable from the front panel 3.0 USB to the motherboard 3.1 gen 1 connector (20-1 pin U31G1_78 according the to manual) before realizing my mistake. Is this OK or will it fry my motherboard?

I also already tried to remove it, but it seems locked in place (made a click sound when connecting), should I just pull with more force or is there some mechanism here I'm not seeing?

Solution
USB 3.0 = USB 3.1 gen 1... it's the same thing, they just changed the naming scheme to confuse people.
You plugged the right connector in there, nothing to worry about.

The connector itself fits pretty tight usually and you need to apply a bit of force when disconnecting. You don't need to do that though... the connector is plugged where it should be.
USB 3.0 = USB 3.1 gen 1... it's the same thing, they just changed the naming scheme to confuse people.
You plugged the right connector in there, nothing to worry about.

The connector itself fits pretty tight usually and you need to apply a bit of force when disconnecting. You don't need to do that though... the connector is plugged where it should be.

Solution
Dec 24, 2019
Yeah and be careful upon removing it. I pulled my connector right off the board because it was so snug. So now I’ve mine plugged in to bare pins on the board.

TRENDING THREADS