Jul 30, 2020
So, i have an old PC . . here's the specs :
intel i5 4690k (no OC)
MSI B85M-P33 V3
8 GB ram DDR3 dual channel
1x HDD
1x SSD
and GTX 750ti

i have a plan to change my graphics card to GTX 1660 super , and wondering if my Seasonic 430 W 80+ Bronze Eco Series can handle it . . . if it can't, is Seasonic S12II 450 W enough ?

Thanks .

Solution
The 1660s is not exactly power hungry. That Seasonic 450w should be fine. Being an older design doesn't suddenly make a known good PSU, a junk one. If you haven't had any issues with the 430 eco, the 450 S12II isn't going to either. We are only changing the GPU, and PSU, in this case. A new system, yea, I would recommend a Corsair CX550m, at a minimum, due to price, and quality.
intel i5 4690k (no OC)
MSI B85M-P33 V3
1x HDD
1x SSD
and GTX 750ti

i have a plan to change my graphics card to GTX 1660 super , and wondering if my Seasonic 430 W 80+ Bronze Eco Series can handle it . . . if it can't, is Seasonic S12II 450 W enough ?

Thanks .
Is it enough probably. The problem is that PSU is old and basically just a rebadged S12II. That means they are old group regulated PSUs and not DC-DC. It isn't the best idea to run new/er components on old group regulated PSUs. They will work but you can have a problem with crossload. What country are you in and what would your budget be for a PSU?

Zerk2012

Titan
Ambassador
intel i5 4690k (no OC)
MSI B85M-P33 V3
1x HDD
1x SSD
and GTX 750ti

Thanks .
It should be fine less than a 300 watt PC.

Jul 30, 2020
Is it enough probably. The problem is that PSU is old and basically just a rebadged S12II. That means they are old group regulated PSUs and not DC-DC. It isn't the best idea to run new/er components on old group regulated PSUs. They will work but you can have a problem with crossload. What country are you in and what would your budget be for a PSU?

im from indonesia... and im only have like $45 for psu

logainofhades

Titan
The 1660s is not exactly power hungry. That Seasonic 450w should be fine. Being an older design doesn't suddenly make a known good PSU, a junk one. If you haven't had any issues with the 430 eco, the 450 S12II isn't going to either. We are only changing the GPU, and PSU, in this case. A new system, yea, I would recommend a Corsair CX550m, at a minimum, due to price, and quality.

Solution
what's sleep states c6/c7 ? why should i disable it ? if i disable it, it is ok to keep using my 430 w psu for 1660s ?
sorry im never heard about "sleep states c6/c7" or something before . . .
Sleep states are found in the bios, they put the system in a low power state that can cause problems with group regulated psu's. You will probably only have one option under "intel c-state", so if you start having random restarts, change that to disabled.

Oh, with a 1660S, you might get some frame drops and such, a 4 core cpu sometimes limits gpu's beginning around the 1660S area(my old i5 6500 frame dropped like crazy with a gtx 1070(similar to a 1660S)).

Jul 30, 2020
Sleep states are found in the bios, they put the system in a low power state that can cause problems with group regulated psu's. You will probably only have one option under "intel c-state", so if you start having random restarts, change that to disabled.

Oh, with a 1660S, you might get some frame drops and such, a 4 core cpu sometimes limits gpu's beginning around the 1660S area(my old i5 6500 frame dropped like crazy with a gtx 1070(similar to a 1660S)).
Oh . . Do I still need to disable it even I have not that restart issue ?

Maybe I’ll stick with my 430w psu while saving some money to get better psu next

Thanks all for the help and suggestion