Can 450w psu run a rx580???

Status
Not open for further replies.

Anguspcish

Prominent
Aug 2, 2017
I recently purchased a cxm450w psu from corsair for my first pc build and I just want to know if it could run my rx 580 4gb card safely as everywhere I read says it will work but amd recommend a 500w psu pls help

Solution

Your total power consumption under max load will be between 288-326W (give or take few watts), depending on your decision to overclock your Ryzen CPU or not. The highest efficiency is reached between 50% and 80% loading of the power supply, for...

Aeacus

Titan
Ambassador
Can 450W PSU run a RX 580 when on idle/web browsing? Yes.

Can 450W PSU run a RX 580 when gaming/benching? Maybe.

While on idle, your PC consumes about 150W (give or take 50W) then in games and benching, it consumes considerably more. What can happen during gaming/benching is that you'll get automatic system shutdowns. Overload your PSU too much and you'll blow it. Worst case scenario is that when your PSU blows, it also fries everything it's connected to.

Since RX 580 is 185W GPU, i'd use 650W PSU to give the system plenty of headroom wattage vise for CPU/GPU OC. Anything from Seasonic will do,
pcpp: https://pcpartpicker.com/products/compare/WrNypg,Tc3RsY,R7V48d,nn648d/

norimacek

Prominent
Jul 17, 2017

Please tell us which CPU will you use in your build (& HDDs, DVD-RW optic drive yes/no...) in your build (will you overclock it), so we can calculate your system power consumption under 100 % load and give you an answer.

Anguspcish

Prominent
Aug 2, 2017

https://nz.pcpartpicker.com/list/bnBhzM

norimacek

Prominent
Jul 17, 2017

Your total power consumption under max load will be between 288-326W (give or take few watts), depending on your decision to overclock your Ryzen CPU or not. The highest efficiency is reached between 50% and 80% loading of the power supply, for your system to run under the best circumstances, your will we around 70 %, which is totally fine.

If you'd like PSU to be quiet even under heavy load or if you plan to overclock your GPU, I'd choose 550W variation of CXM series, but as I already said, you'll be OK with 450 W.

Solution

Anguspcish

Prominent
Aug 2, 2017

thanks i plan to overclock the cpu but i'm also planning on buying a factory overclocked rx 580

Status
Not open for further replies.