Question Can 4K PCIe4.0 graphic card works on PCIe3.0 interface?

satimis_06

Distinguished
Jan 2, 2006
Hi all,

Can 4K PCIe4.0 graphic card works on PCIe3.0 interface?

Hardware:-
CPU AMD Ryzen 5 3400G with Radeon Vega Graphics
Motherboard ASUS PRIME X570-P (PCIe 3.0 interface)
32G RAM onboard
Display: Dell 32" 4K monitor U3219Q
(Graphic comes from AMD CPU without graphic card installed.)

OS Linux Ubuntu 22.04 desktop

Recently at booting following warning:
Recently at booting following warning:
The current input time is not supported by the monitor display. Please change your input timing to 3840x2160, 60Hz or any other monitor

is alwary handing a while on monitor and then popup to login page, Boot Menu not started, It didn't happen in the past. Setting of the Dell monitor is exactly 3840x2160, 60Hz

I hesitate whether the problem comes from the graphic because without a 4K graphic card.

I'm prepaired to purchase a a 4K graphic card, PCIe 4.0 interface, to check whether the problem can be solved. If NOT then I'll build a new AMD Ryzen 7 PC, using the new 4K graphic card.

Please advise whether 4K PCIe 4.0 graphic card works on PCIe 3.0 interface? My old motherboard only provide PCIe 3.0 interface.

Thanks in advance.

Regards

Math Geek

Titan
Ambassador
the graphics is more than enough to handle the 4k monitor. it won't game at 4k but it can easily handle other tasks at that resolution.

the fact it has been working tells you this much. i'd lower the resolution so it will boot and then start troubleshooting before buying anything. start with updating the graphics driver and verify the settings there are set where you think it is. it's not unusual for the monitor to be set one way and the OS be set totally different.

when you get the error, go to the BIOS and see what it thinks is hooked up as a monitor.

i'd definitely troubleshoot a bunch before investing in a new system just due to a sudden error.

Reactions: thisisaname

satimis_06

Distinguished
Jan 2, 2006
the graphics is more than enough to handle the 4k monitor. it won't game at 4k but it can easily handle other tasks at that resolution.

the fact it has been working tells you this much. i'd lower the resolution so it will boot and then start troubleshooting before buying anything. start with updating the graphics driver and verify the settings there are set where you think it is. it's not unusual for the monitor to be set one way and the OS be set totally different.

when you get the error, go to the BIOS and see what it thinks is hooked up as a monitor.

i'd definitely troubleshoot a bunch before investing in a new system just due to a sudden error.
Hi,

Thanks for your advice.

I don't game. The PC would boot finally but I have to wait for about 1~2 min. Also I can't select refresh rate >30 sec. The monitor will blink from time to time. I have to select the refresh rate at 30 sec.

Also I have tried to lower the resolution to 2560x1440 but the characters becomes very large on a 4K monitor. The warning still popup. The PC works seamlessly on a 24", 2560x1440 resolution monitor.

Before I have been playing around on BIOS without a solution. Could you please give me some suggestion how to configure the BIOS allowing me making another test as well as for trouble shooting ?

Besides please advise where can I download the graphic driver for AMD Ryzen 5 3400G. OS - Ubuntu 22.04 desktop.

$ uname -r
5.19.0-42-generic

$ uname -a
Linux 2TBPCIeSSD 5.19.0-42-generic #43~22.04.1-Ubuntu SMP PREEMPT_DYNAMIC Fri Apr 21 16:51:08 UTC 2 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux

Thanks in advance.

Regards

TRENDING THREADS