Can 4x8gb ram work together if they are all single channel?

Feb 23, 2018
I'm setting up a new PC, and the fact is that RAM prices are seriously messed up. What i need is about 16gb of RAM, but i don't have the cash at the moment for that. What I was thinking is to get 1x8gb and then get another one when the prices drop a little, and eventually getting it up to 32gb in the next couple of years when/if i need it.

My question is, i know it can all work well if i buy 2 sets of 2x8gb, because those sold in pairs are dual channel and that works. But what if i buy a single channel 8gb, then another single channel 8gb, and probably a set of 2x8gb somewhere in the future. Will all those work together? I watched Linus's clip about it and I didn't understand if something like this could work. They would all be the same brand and speed btw. I'm just wondering if a single channel ram can be mixed up with dual channel.

Solution
It might. I did almost that with HyperX and it went smoothly. But make sure just in case you can return/swap as at random it will just break.
I was 1x4 GB and added 8 GB then another 8 GB in place of 4GB and then added 8 GB where old 4 went and got 16 GB stick for myself. (2 slots)

problem is that sometimes it just don't work. All you can do is replace with another stick.
to max out change:
1. use SAME MODEL/SAME MANUFACTURER if possible.
2. Buy in short time frame(less than a year). Lowers chance something changed in the process, less errors.
3. MAKE SURE YOU CAN RETURN!!

before choosing ram, search net for successfully done such thing before.
Jun 27, 2018
if your Motherboard's ram slots are single channel, then yes. They both need to be at the same speed (i.e. 1600mhz) if i'm recalling correctly. Just beware that the ram stick with the highest CAS timings WILL be your CAS timings for your other stick as well.

It might. I did almost that with HyperX and it went smoothly. But make sure just in case you can return/swap as at random it will just break.
I was 1x4 GB and added 8 GB then another 8 GB in place of 4GB and then added 8 GB where old 4 went and got 16 GB stick for myself. (2 slots)

problem is that sometimes it just don't work. All you can do is replace with another stick.
to max out change:
1. use SAME MODEL/SAME MANUFACTURER if possible.
2. Buy in short time frame(less than a year). Lowers chance something changed in the process, less errors.
3. MAKE SURE YOU CAN RETURN!!

before choosing ram, search net for successfully done such thing before.

Solution
Jun 27, 2018
I wouldnt try to go with the same model and everything if his board is single channel, it wouldnt matter. I currently have a dual channel board and im using 2 crucial 4gb sticks (9-9-9 CAS) and 1 8gb g.skill stick (11-11-11 CAS). all that matters is that you make sure you put the same sticks in the same channel, and the odd-ball stick in the other channel. you just need to have the same speed on the sicks as well. CAS timings dont need to be the same, but all ram sticks will be at the speed of the slowest stick.

Feb 23, 2018
I know the channels are on the mobo, but on the packages of RAM it says that they are configured for a certain number of channels, so i don't know if mixing 2 seperate bought singlw channel sticks mixed with a pack of 2x dual channel sticks would work....

But basicly, i should just save more cash and get the 2x8gb pack to begin with to avoid the hassle of malfunctions... since its a pain returning anything where i am from...

thanks for the info guys