[SOLVED] Can 5 intake 1 exhaust do a descent cooling?

sapocan

Commendable
Oct 26, 2017
Hey guys, so i have this power boost vk-d502t case you can check online which has 3 front fans as intake from a small side vents and 1 exhaust on the back. With this config my ryzen 3600 on stock cooler goes to like 97 degrees and i need to change that. My question is if i put a 240mm AIO on top and use 2 more fans as intake will 1 exhaust be enought for it? my graphics card is msi rx 5700 gaming x and it puts a good amount of heat inside the case. Included fans seems to be not efficient maybe i need to change thoose too or maybe just put a hardcore exhaust fan and call it a day?

Solution
But wouldn't it take the heat throught the radiator and make it useless?
It won’t make it useless, it ‘might’ increase cpu temp by a couple of degrees maximum but it’s better for everything else. You always want the top fans as an exhaust. You will be dumping the cpu hot air straight out of the case which is a benefit of AIO’s in this configuration.
But wouldn't it take the heat throught the radiator and make it useless?
It won’t make it useless, it ‘might’ increase cpu temp by a couple of degrees maximum but it’s better for everything else. You always want the top fans as an exhaust. You will be dumping the cpu hot air straight out of the case which is a benefit of AIO’s in this configuration.

Solution
Hey guys, so i have this power boost vk-d502t case you can check online which has 3 front fans as intake from a small side vents and 1 exhaust on the back. With this config my ryzen 3600 on stock cooler goes to like 97 degrees and i need to change that. My question is if i put a 240mm AIO on top and use 2 more fans as intake will 1 exhaust be enought for it? my graphics card is msi rx 5700 gaming x and it puts a good amount of heat inside the case. Included fans seems to be not efficient maybe i need to change thoose too or maybe just put a hardcore exhaust fan and call it a day?

What you are doing is what's known as positive pressurization. And while it would work, its not ideal. When you over pressurize your fans work less efficiently and have to work much harder to get the same airflow. Plus the air path will be stagnant or unpredictable as it tries to find placed to leak out.

Balanced or just slight over pressurization is the way to go to get optimal cooling as this allows the highest airflow.

4 in (front / side) 3 out (top / rear) would be a good configuration. Also i would check your mounting amd cpu voltage. Your 3600 (non x) should be nowhere near 95C even with stress testing.

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
power boost vk-d502t
Fans are set up too close to the front panel. If it is possible, move the front fans to the other side of the fan bracket to give them more breathing room.

ryzen 3600 on stock cooler
Honestly, the top-down area cooler isn't bad, but the trend of windowed side panels with no fans totally screws them. I don't think there's a correct way to setup your fans around the Wraith cooler without replacing it with a tower air, or liquid cooler.
Top-down area coolers draw air 'from above', push it down into the heatsink below, and that heat spreads outward in all directions. These coolers should be used in chassis with side intake fans.

Just replace the cooler.