Can 90% alcohol cause cpu short circuit

Mkazem

Honorable
Jul 18, 2016
So i have done something really stupid. i know but what done is done :(

I touched bottom of cpu where contact point meet pins on socket. so i decided to clean it using a little 90% industrial alcohol applied to soft tissue and rubbed all of the bottom.

its 6700k and i installed it after letting it dry (just 10 seconds!)

I havent set up my build other parts are arriving. Just want to know is the cpu dead or not?

Is there chance that cpu short circuit after i turn things on?

Solution
Everything is fine. I prefer to not use tissue since it leaves lint, I like coffee filters, but tissue isn't conductive anyway and you don't have to worry about anything. And really, it shouldn't matter if your finger touched the bottom of it; our fingers all have oils on them, everything we touch leaves behind dead skin cells and other junk. It really doesn't matter, the CPU is fine, and you are overworrying (something a lot of new builders do).

Usually alcohol like that dries within seconds from my experience.
Everything is fine. I prefer to not use tissue since it leaves lint, I like coffee filters, but tissue isn't conductive anyway and you don't have to worry about anything. And really, it shouldn't matter if your finger touched the bottom of it; our fingers all have oils on them, everything we touch leaves behind dead skin cells and other junk. It really doesn't matter, the CPU is fine, and you are overworrying (something a lot of new builders do).

Usually alcohol like that dries within seconds from my experience.

Solution

Mkazem

Honorable
Jul 18, 2016

Thanks for fast reply. i was really worried that i may have to pay for stuff again! just wanted to hear it from someone that it will be fine especially from Master like you ;).

Thanks to Hlsgzs too. i will probably take it out for a minute. however im also pretty sure it dried out in seconds. i was worried about that 10% not alcohol stuff.

If that were "normal" water, ther would be potentially harmful residue. But that's distilled water, so, as long as it's completely dried, no issues whatsoever.

I'm not really a master. That's just my badge. Hypocrite by nature is my motto.