Question Can 9900K get damaged from using MCE (Multi Core Enhancement)

Assaf Patishi

Distinguished
Jan 11, 2017
Hi everybody,
I have 9900K with Z390 Aorus Master board. I am also equipped with Noctua NH-D15 cooler.
With all the information about the (notorious) MCE setting in the bios, I couldn't find a definite conclusion. I know the majority of people prefer no to use it cause you can just dial a manual overclock to 5ghz with much lower
voltage and get better thermals and less stress on the CPU..etc' etc' But I am one of those who got tired of overclocking and stress testing (did that enough in the past) ..I just want to get my 5ghz and game :)
So I decided to give MCE a try. Yes..the temps are a little higher than ideal, but it stays well under 90c when gaming (9900k thermal threshold is 100c). The higher I got so far is 95c in Cinebench R20, but this is the most stressful thing I would run on this machine, I am not about to do stress tests of any kind (OCCT, prime etc'). And this is summer reminds you..it is pretty hot where I live.
And the most important thing for me is that the system seems stable and I don't get any WHEA errors in HWinfo.
With my specific board (Z390 Aorus Master) MCE is pushing the 9900k to 5ghz non-stop, full pedal to the metal, It doesn't even clocks down like previous versions of it (as I remember from my previous 8700k+Z370 system).
The Vcore is hanging around 1.38 but it sometimes spikes up to 1.4+ and even reaches 1.45-1.47 every once in a while, but it is only occasionally.
I know that anything up to 1.4 supposed to be ok but those spikes are making me a little worried.

And now for my main question: Assuming I am fine with the temperatures, can I keep using MCE without too much concerns?

Bonus question:

And by the way, do you think I should try the 5ghz Gigabyte's own preset in the bios? As far as I know MCE just unleashes all the current and power limits for the board without touching any other settings, and the board/CPU does whatever it likes. Maybe the 5ghz preset would be better since it is more like overclocking. I would really like to have your opinion on this, any input would be appreciated.
Thx.

nicholas70

Reputable
May 15, 2016
Overtime you will degrade the cpu with voltage spiking over 1.4 and the higher operating temps. Remember that the software reading for voltage can be off by up to 20% in some cases, so you could be getting spikes over 1.5 to the actual cpu. Personally I wouldn't even OC with that cpu because right now it should run anything you throw at it just fine.

Hi everybody,
I have 9900K with Z390 Aorus Master board. I am also equipped with Noctua NH-D15 cooler.
With all the information about the (notorious) MCE setting in the bios, I couldn't find a definite conclusion. I know the majority of people prefer no to use it cause you can just dial a manual overclock to 5ghz with much lower
voltage and get better thermals and less stress on the CPU..etc' etc' But I am one of those who got tired of overclocking and stress testing (did that enough in the past) ..I just want to get my 5ghz and game :)
So I decided to give MCE a try. Yes..the temps are a little higher than ideal, but it stays well under 90c when gaming (9900k thermal threshold is 100c). The higher I got so far is 95c in Cinebench R20, but this is the most stressful thing I would run on this machine, I am not about to do stress tests of any kind (OCCT, prime etc'). And this is summer reminds you..it is pretty hot where I live.
And the most important thing for me is that the system seems stable and I don't get any WHEA errors in HWinfo.
With my specific board (Z390 Aorus Master) MCE is pushing the 9900k to 5ghz non-stop, full pedal to the metal, It doesn't even clocks down like previous versions of it (as I remember from my previous 8700k+Z370 system).
The Vcore is hanging around 1.38 but it sometimes spikes up to 1.4+ and even reaches 1.45-1.47 every once in a while, but it is only occasionally.
I know that anything up to 1.4 supposed to be ok but those spikes are making me a little worried.

And now for my main question: Assuming I am fine with the temperatures, can I keep using MCE without too much concerns?

Bonus question:

And by the way, do you think I should try the 5ghz Gigabyte's own preset in the bios? As far as I know MCE just unleashes all the current and power limits for the board without touching any other settings, and the board/CPU does whatever it likes. Maybe the 5ghz preset would be better since it is more like overclocking. I would really like to have your opinion on this, any input would be appreciated.
Thx.

Well....

You can use the MCE and just lower the VCORE down to like 1.30 to 1.32.

However I wouldn't recommend using it.

Disable MCE and set it manually, it's not hard and only takes a min.

Best thing to do is update the BIOS, the newest is F8.

Then go in and set optimized defaults, save and reboot and go back into the BIOS.

Set XMP Profile 1
Disable MCE
Set CPU speed to 50
Set VCORE to 1.30V or higher if needed.
Set LLC to TURBO
Set TDP to 250

Run your tests and raise the VCORE as needed.

Last edited: