[SOLVED] Can a 2080TI really handle 1080p gaming?

May 30, 2019
This is an actual question, can a 2080TI really handle 1080p gaming? I have always only bought the 80 TI variant cards, as the card more powerful I have also bought higher refresh rate monitors. However, it seems that my 2080TI cant really reach 240FPS stable on low settings in many games which rendering my monitor useless. Though there are games out there that can be stable at 240FPS and those are the competitive titles like CSGO and Overwatch, but I want to be able to enjoy my favorite co-op game at high FPS too such as Killing Floor 2. Technically 240FPS can be achieved but there will always be dips below 200FPS at times which causes input lag which really ruins the immersion of the gameplay. Is this a normal situation for my card? if so do I need to go Nvlink? Thanks in advance guys!

Solution
The biggest factor here is the cpu and many games 200+ FPS is impossible with even the best overclocked cpu’s.

The cpu determines the best FPS you can get. The gpu determines at what resolution and game settings you can achieve this FPS with.

DMAN999

Dignified
Ambassador
According to this:

Most Pro CSGO players shoot for 144 FPS at 144 Hz at 1080 (or lower) resolution with1024x768 (4:3) being the most used.
So if you are getting 200-240 fps you are well above what they deem the optimal fps for competition.

The biggest factor here is the cpu and many games 200+ FPS is impossible with even the best overclocked cpu’s.

The cpu determines the best FPS you can get. The gpu determines at what resolution and game settings you can achieve this FPS with.

Solution
This is an actual question, can a 2080TI really handle 1080p gaming? I have always only bought the 80 TI variant cards, as the card more powerful I have also bought higher refresh rate monitors. However, it seems that my 2080TI cant really reach 240FPS stable on low settings in many games which rendering my monitor useless. Though there are games out there that can be stable at 240FPS and those are the competitive titles like CSGO and Overwatch, but I want to be able to enjoy my favorite co-op game at high FPS too such as Killing Floor 2. Technically 240FPS can be achieved but there will always be dips below 200FPS at times which causes input lag which really ruins the immersion of the gameplay. Is this a normal situation for my card? if so do I need to go Nvlink? Thanks in advance guys!

the problem is on the CPU side. that much is certain. that's why you still got FPS dip. if you want stable 240FPS without drop at all you most likely going to need something even more faster than 5Ghz 9900K.

please advise what CPU I should get, I just want that stable 240FPS
please advise what CPU I should get, I just want that stable 240FPS

maybe the CPU that you need does not really exist yet. you're playing at 1080p meaning you will push the CPU harder to keep up with 2080ti. right now just be glad you did not get the worst effect from bottleneck.

you know what some people actually quite disappointed when 2080ti did not at least 60% faster than 1080ti when it first comes out. they said nvidia should push more rasterization performance instead of wasting silicon space to push the "gimmicky" RT. but the thing is if nvidia really did make 2080ti at least 60% faster than 1080ti (it is not impossible for nvidia to reach that kind of performance if they want to) they will face one issue that is totally out of their control: CPU bottleneck. if look at techpowerup review of 2080ti it is very clear that 8700K at 4.8Ghz did bottleneck 2080ti even at 1440p resolution. the gap between 2080 and 2080ti widens more (in percentage metric) in 4k because 2080ti able to flex it's muscle better at 4k due to the bottleneck are being shift more towards GPU at high resolution.

but in coming years the situation on the CPU most likely improved due to AMD igniting the CPU battle forward with their Ryzen. intel might not have an immediate answer but they are definitely not going to sit still and let their butter and bread get taken away by AMD just like that.

Reactions: Nothing Works
May 30, 2019
maybe the CPU that you need does not really exist yet. you're playing at 1080p meaning you will push the CPU harder to keep up with 2080ti. right now just be glad you did not get the worst effect from bottleneck.

you know what some people actually quite disappointed when 2080ti did not at least 60% faster than 1080ti when it first comes out. they said nvidia should push more rasterization performance instead of wasting silicon space to push the "gimmicky" RT. but the thing is if nvidia really did make 2080ti at least 60% faster than 1080ti (it is not impossible for nvidia to reach that kind of performance if they want to) they will face one issue that is totally out of their control: CPU bottleneck. if look at techpowerup review of 2080ti it is very clear that 8700K at 4.8Ghz did bottleneck 2080ti even at 1440p resolution. the gap between 2080 and 2080ti widens more (in percentage metric) in 4k because 2080ti able to flex it's muscle better at 4k due to the bottleneck are being shift more towards GPU at high resolution.

but in coming years the situation on the CPU most likely improved due to AMD igniting the CPU battle forward with their Ryzen. intel might not have an immediate answer but they are definitely not going to sit still and let their butter and bread get taken away by AMD just like that.

thank you for the explanation, I will try to use DSR to put it to 1440p to shift the load towards the GPU a little more

Has nothing to do with the 2080Ti at all.

It's the CPU's than can't push the high framerates in some games.

Since you'll be severly limited by the cpu at 1080p resolution, you can get a RTX 2070 / gtx 1080 that will deliver the same results in your games. The GTX 1080 ti/RTX 2080 and higher weren't designed for 1080p gaming and would just be idling (slight exaggeration but you get the point) at that resolution. It's just wasted money and performance at that point.

May 30, 2019
There are games where a minimum of 150fps is not possible on existing cpu's let alone 240.
Definitely, I am only aiming at a few games such as Overwatch, Killing Floor 2 and Rainbow 6 Seige and possibly Warfarme. I remember my old rig 8700k 1080Ti held up just fine though. Dont understand why this new build is giving me so much trouble

Definitely, I am only aiming at a few games such as Overwatch, Killing Floor 2 and Rainbow 6 Seige and possibly Warfarme. I remember my old rig 8700k 1080Ti held up just fine though. Dont understand why this new build is giving me so much trouble

i'd say that your older rig are much more balance build between CPU and GPU. for the past few years CPU improvement have been slowing down due to AMD unable to compete head to head with intel. GPU improvement also somewhat slowing down but when compared to CPU it was not as bad. now we are at the point that even the fastest CPU barely keep up with the fastest GPU unless you play at extremely high resolution such as 4k. the slow progress on CPU performance improvement also what makes nvidia starts pushing DX12 heavily with Turing.