[SOLVED] Can a 4gb gpu with a cpu that supports 2gb video memory cause crashing?

Oct 1, 2020
I upgraded my gpu and gave my old one to a friend. his cpu is an i5-4670 and on intel's page the "graphics video max memory" is 2gb. the card worked perfect for me but when he plays certain games he will get a black screen that can only be remedied by powering the system off and on. I have tested all of his components and have not found any issues. His original gpu was a gtx 760 and he had no issues with that besides a lack of performance with newer games. Also, side note, rather than go through driver removal for the gpu swap he opted for a fresh install of win 10 since he had not done a fresh install since win 7 (upgraded to 10).

Current config:
i5-4670
4x4gb gskill ram
rx 480 4gb
1000w psu (overkill, I know)
240gb sata ssd + 1tb hdd
gigabyte mobo (not sure which one)

This wont be much of an issue in the near future because he will be upgrading to a desktop he is buying from another friend with an i5-6xxx (supports up to 64gb of graphics memory) and an rtx 2060. I just want to try to figure out if there is a compatibility issue that can be resolved with a gpu with less memory.

Solution
I upgraded my gpu and gave my old one to a friend. his cpu is an i5-4670 and on intel's page the "graphics video max memory" is 2gb.

I believe that this is referencing the max amount of memory that the integrated GPU on the i5-4670 will attempt to use. It has nothing to do with any limit of how much VRAM your graphics card can have.

I am using an RX 580 8GB on my main PC, which is a Dell XPS 8700 with an i5-4460 (slower i5 than your friend's 4670).
Oct 1, 2020
Does anyone have any insight on this issue? Hoping to get an answer for him since he will want to sell his current desktop and doesn't want to sell it if it will continue to have this issue.

King_V

Illustrious
Ambassador
I upgraded my gpu and gave my old one to a friend. his cpu is an i5-4670 and on intel's page the "graphics video max memory" is 2gb.

I believe that this is referencing the max amount of memory that the integrated GPU on the i5-4670 will attempt to use. It has nothing to do with any limit of how much VRAM your graphics card can have.

I am using an RX 580 8GB on my main PC, which is a Dell XPS 8700 with an i5-4460 (slower i5 than your friend's 4670).

Solution