Can a 600VA UPS provide 600 watt of power when Power in ON

mitu1234

Honorable
Oct 15, 2012
I got a 600 VA APC UPS WHICH is providing beeps when i use some high power demanding works like games etc and my desktop rig consumes atleast 500watt so more than 360 for the UPS ,So just confused that if the battery is the issue as it is quite old or do i really need a 1000va one

I don't want to run the rig when the power goes off,just don't want random shutdown, So do suggest me if i need a 1000 va or can i just change the battery of 600VA

A whopping 5 seconds of googling (va into watts) got me to a site I've copied the relevant info from below. TLDR - wattage and VA load cannot be exceeded, wattage load is rule of thumb 60% of VA on consumer-grade UPS's. Bigger battery won't increase the draw speed (you can't load it with more equipment), just increase the uptime at the current rated max load:

The power rating of the UPS
UPS have both maximum Watt ratings and maximum VA ratings. Neither the Watt nor the VA rating of a UPS may be exceeded. It is a de-facto standard in the industry that the Watt rating is approximately 60% of the VA rating for small UPS systems, this being the typical power factor of common personal computer loads. In some cases, UPS manufacturers only publish the VA rating of the UPS. For small UPS designed for computer loads, which have only a VA rating, it is appropriate to assume that the Watt rating of the UPS is 60% of the published VA rating. For larger UPS systems, it is becoming common to focus on the Watt rating of the UPS, and to have equal Watt and VA ratings for the UPS, because the Watt and VA ratings of the typical loads are equal.

Examples where a sizing problem can occur
Example #1: Consider the case of a typical 1000VA UPS. The user wants to power a 900W heater with the UPS. The heater has a Watt rating of 900W and a VA rating of 900VA with a power factor of 1. Although the VA rating of the load is 900VA, which is within the VA rating of the UPS, the UPS will probably not power this load. That is because the 900W rating of the load exceeds the Watt rating of the UPS, which is most likely 60% of 1000VA or around 600W.

Example #2: Consider the case of a 1000VA UPS. The user wants to power a 900VA file server with the UPS. The file server has a Power Factor Corrected power supply, and so has a Watt rating of 900W and a VA rating of 900VA. Although the VA rating of the load is 900VA, which is within the VA rating of the UPS, the UPS will not power this load. That is because the 900W rating of the load exceeds the Watt rating of the UPS, which is 60% of 1000VA or around 600W.

mitu1234

Honorable
Oct 15, 2012

I am just asking can a 600va ups provide more than 360 watt power when the power is on/ ?Not in backup mode as when the current is there ,it just bypasses the ups