Question can a 600w psu handle rx 590??

Gfost73

Reputable
Mar 23, 2019
looking up the RX590 specs it says System Requirements Recommended PSU: 500W with a 8 pin connection .. so I would say that you should be ok, I believe those PSU requirements are at the Max load etc.. My RX570 suggest a 450W PSU and threw monitoring etc, Ive NEVER seen the card pull more than 130wats.. and I cant even say that much, more around the 120 mark.. but that's also under stress testing loads etc.. not gaming, during gaming most times my card draws roughly 80-95w
Please note that my card is UNDERVOLTED and Overclocked so that of course will help lower total power draw,

BrokenKB

Reputable
Aug 8, 2019
I would be hesitant to put any GPU I cared about with a low quality PSU.
You are risking your GPU as well as the rest of your system.
I would advise getting a new high quality PSU for whatever GPU you decide to go with.

you are right but i think i will trust in this psu.

you know, evga is a very good brand and a lot of people has use this psu in their first pc builds.

i hope i can pair it with a RX 580 at least?

King_V

Illustrious
Ambassador
EVGA has some great PSUs, but also some terrible ones. Take a look at the link in my signature.

A high quality 450W PSU might even be enough. Hell, while not the best PSUs, starting with Skylake era, even Dell's XPS towers, when they had 460W power supplies, Dell would outright say that it could handle up to a 225W video card.

That said, a high quality 550W, or, if you really want extra headroom for future upgrades, 650W, would be good. Sometimes, for the same brand and model, a higher-capacity power supply is only SLIGHTLY more, sometimes the same price, and, occasionally, I've seen, even cheaper, than its lower-rated counterpart.

But, definitely click on the first link in my signature. The first post in that thread is very informative, and is basically what I use as my guide to pick a PSU.

You absolutely want a PSU that's known to be of high quality - it's the lifeblood of your system, and a poor quality PSU can work fine, or it can slowly degrade your components, or it can fail. When a poor-quality PSU fails, if you're lucky, it simply fails. If you're not, it will possibly take out other expensive components with it. Some have been known to be outright fire hazards.

Gfost73

Reputable
Mar 23, 2019
not the best PSU , but I cannot see why it wont work, provided you have the 8 pin connection, My old PSU wasn't much better Id not think it was a EVGA as well. and I had no issues running my RX570 on that one, and that was quite literally on the line for being able to run the card being only 450w PSU, but if you do run into weird shutdowns etc , you might wanna think of upgrading the PSU , and yes everyone is right when they say that the PSU should be the best part of your system, that should NEVER be scrimped on.. so Buy the best you can afford, we all cant afford Gold + Titanium rated PSU.. but never go for just the cheapo "it should work" ones either...

joeblowsmynose

Distinguished
As per the wattage ratings, It would probably work fine, but as others are attesting, blowing out a PSU is bad for everything else. This is why all the recommendations for buying a better PSU.

Its not that it won't work ... it will, its just the risk factor is all - the risk that if a PSU fails, it often takes something out with it. The closer you push a PSU to its limits - especially a lower quality one, the risk of failure goes up. That PSU is listed in tier 6 out of 7 (7 being complete trash) here: https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/631048-psu-tier-list-old/

So I'd say that puts you in a pretty high risk category. A 580 would somewhat lower that risk.

I had one blow out on me after about two or three years of use (for no apparent good reason other than poor build quality) and while my mobo and CPU survived, all my hard drives did not, nor did my video card.

Learned my lesson after that and went with one that exceeded my power requirements by about 100% (and is in tier 1 in the above list). It's getting a bit long in the tooth now (oldest component in my case by a long shot) and probably should be replaced soon, but I got about ten years out of it so far - worth the extra money, I'd say.

BrokenKB

Reputable
Aug 8, 2019
As per the wattage ratings, It would probably work fine, but as others are attesting, blowing out a PSU is bad for everything else. This is why all the recommendations for buying a better PSU.

Its not that it won't work ... it will, its just the risk factor is all - the risk that if a PSU fails, it often takes something out with it. The closer you push a PSU to its limits - especially a lower quality one, the risk of failure goes up. That PSU is listed in tier 6 out of 7 (7 being complete trash) here: https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/631048-psu-tier-list-old/

So I'd say that puts you in a pretty high risk category. A 580 would somewhat lower that risk.

I had one blow out on me after about two or three years of use (for no apparent good reason other than poor build quality) and while my mobo and CPU survived, all my hard drives did not, nor did my video card.

Learned my lesson after that and went with one that exceeded my power requirements by about 100% (and is in tier 1 in the above list). It's getting a bit long in the tooth now (oldest component in my case by a long shot) and probably should be replaced soon, but I got about ten years out of it so far - worth the extra money, I'd say.
thank you all. i will give a change that psu and will buy a rx 580.

does the 8gb version demands more power consumption right?

joeblowsmynose

Distinguished
thank you all. i will give a change that psu and will buy a rx 580.

does the 8gb version demands more power consumption right?

If you are getting a new PSU the 590 isn't really any more of risk, if you still want to go that route - unless cost is the deciding factor on that now that you are ponying up for two components ... :)

That said, I have a 580 and it is great for 1080p gaming with a "normal" (less than 100hz) refresh monitor, I have no complaints with it.

Reactions: King_V