[SOLVED] Can a a320m m2 run a ryzen 7 2700?

Mar 21, 2020
Hello i currently have a 400w power supply with an nvidia 1060 3gb, 16 gb ddr4 2666 mhz ram and an amd ryzen 3 2200g cpu, i am wondering if it will be ok to swap the cpu for a amd ryzen 7 2700? The msi site says its supports it and is fine but i read some where that its very risky and can possible fry the cpu (I am not looking to overclock at all) is this true or not?

Solution
When you say it can "possible fry the CPU" i assume you are asking if the power draw from the 2700 will fry the A320 motherboards VRM's. If you do not overclock it will not damage the motherboard. That said, an 8 core CPU on an A320 motherboard with no heatsinks on the VRM's is not an ideal match.
Mar 21, 2020
When you say it can "possible fry the CPU" i assume you are asking if the power draw from the 2700 will fry the A320 motherboards VRM's. If you do not overclock it will not damage the motherboard. That said, an 8 core CPU on an A320 motherboard with no heatsinks on the VRM's is not an ideal match.
Thanks for the reply! Just a quick question, by saying its not an ideal match i am guessing you are saying that the cpu will not be as powerful as it should be or will i just get high temps?

Hi,
Ohter than what rocktalkrock wrote, I have one question, Do you realy have a use for an 8 cores /16 threads CPU?

Or is it a really good price, cause right now you could get a Ryzen 5 1600F (if theres stock on Amazon) for a really stupid price (this is a Ryzen 5 2600 with a tiny frecuency diference), or even a Ryzen 5 2600 which wont stress the VRM that hard.

Anyways, I would go with the Ryzen 7 if its at a really good price and you have a very good power supply, but yeah make sure theres good airflow, and don't try to OC (even if with a BIOS update you can).

If you don't have a great power supply (400w is on the really low side), with this I mean, a very well known brand and model, then I would just pick the R5 CPU which will still be a really good upgrade: R3 2200G (4 cores/4 threads) vs Ryzen 5 1600AF/2600 (6 cores/12 threads).

If you like, share the maker and model of your PSU with us.

Cheers