Can a AMD R9 270 run 4 monitors?

rastc3

Reputable
Apr 4, 2015
Hello-

With a new Dell XPS 8700 with an AMD Radeon HD R9 270 graphics card I am trying to run 4 monitors (Each is a Dell E228WFP with DVI and VGA inputs) . I was told by Dell that it would run 4 monitors, but I am having a hard time trying to make that happen.

Currently it runs 3 of the 4 monitors- the display port (passive dp to dvi), the dvi-dvi, and the dvi to vga. The HDMI to DVI can work when I run just one or two monitors but with three or four it does not work (although it does show up on the AMD control panel- just a black icon though, while the functioning ones have blue icons, and all 4 show up on Device Manager).

Question 1: Is there any way this card can run those 4 Dell’s?
Question 2: If yes, what do I need to do to make that happen?

Thanks.
~Rob

VenturaBullet

Reputable
Mar 23, 2014
Yes, the card can run four monitors. I have a Gigabyte R9 270. The DP->DVI MUST be active, not passive. I'm running two BenQ BL2405s (one HDMI, one active DP->DVI), and two Packard Bell Viseo 223DXs (both DVI->DVI) and it works a treat. Given all of your monitors are the same, then you won't have an issue, but if you decide to change one, or two in the future, the DVIs on the card must be used for the same two monitors.

I picked up an XFX Active DP->DVI adapter for €25 in Finland, this one:
http://www.amazon.com/XFX-MA-AP01-PD1K-Active-DisplayPort-Adapter/dp/B004CVBWSC

Hope this helps.
Max

rastc3

Reputable
Apr 4, 2015
Thanks for the confirmation. I added an active DVI and it still did not work- but it was operator error. (I saw the 4th monitor when checking "screen resolution" but it was black- did not realize I just needed to activate it).

All 4 running fine now, although if I leave it on and it goes to sleep/ rest, sometime upon awakening I only see three or two monitors- I have to either go into "screen resolution" to "detect" one, or reboot; but overall fine.

Next on the list- one that runs six at once- but that will not be for a bit of time.

jjmsmits

Reputable
Jun 23, 2015

It will cost you something but yes i just read at AMD site connecting 6 monitors is possible, by using a Display Port (DP) hub. As long you don't use 4k resolution, and the monitors connected over DVI (2 on Dell's version of the R9 270) should have the same resolution.

VenturaBullet

Reputable
Mar 23, 2014
I picked up an Asus HD7970 Matrix ROG on ebay from Germany, and have five monitors going. Don't need the sixth for now as running anouter one via the laptop. But I suspect it is doable, been so easy thus far.