[SOLVED] Can a bad cable ruin an HDD?

Jan 31, 2021
Recently got a new 2tb Seagate HDD in the mail, before installing I had realized I did not have an extra power cable for it so I was able to borrow one from a friend, I have a EVGA 750w modular power supply and the cable that I had gotten from my friend was also from a EVGA. When I had gotten everything set up and plugged in I tried turning on my PC but after having this cable plugged in my whole system would not turn on except I could see that my motherboard was still getting power. After removing the new cable I was able to get power but was now shown that my windows download on my SSD had just then corrupted (I can only assume due to that cable) I have fixed all of that mess but now the 2tb HDD I have will not be recognized by my BIOs at all. I've tried multiple Sata cables and different Sata inputs on my motherboard but nothing will work

Solution
Recently got a new 2tb Seagate HDD in the mail, before installing I had realized I did not have an extra power cable for it so I was able to borrow one from a friend, I have a EVGA 750w modular power supply and the cable that I had gotten from my friend was also from a EVGA. When I had gotten everything set up and plugged in I tried turning on my PC but after having this cable plugged in my whole system would not turn on except I could see that my motherboard was still getting power. After removing the new cable I was able to get power but was now shown that my windows download on my SSD had just then corrupted (I can only assume due to that cable) I have fixed all of that mess but now the 2tb HDD I have will not be recognized by...
Recently got a new 2tb Seagate HDD in the mail, before installing I had realized I did not have an extra power cable for it so I was able to borrow one from a friend, I have a EVGA 750w modular power supply and the cable that I had gotten from my friend was also from a EVGA. When I had gotten everything set up and plugged in I tried turning on my PC but after having this cable plugged in my whole system would not turn on except I could see that my motherboard was still getting power. After removing the new cable I was able to get power but was now shown that my windows download on my SSD had just then corrupted (I can only assume due to that cable) I have fixed all of that mess but now the 2tb HDD I have will not be recognized by my BIOs at all. I've tried multiple Sata cables and different Sata inputs on my motherboard but nothing will work
Unless it's exactly same PSU it might have different connections on PSU side. You might have burned something. That's why it's never done like that. If you don't have enough SATA power connetors, you can always use a splitter cable.

Reactions: img
Solution

img

Prominent
Dec 27, 2020
...but now the 2tb HDD I have will not be recognized by my BIOs at all.

Is it new drive or used? Is it under warranty? I mean contains important data? If you're lucky just TVS diodes tripped on the drive's PCB. Get a multimeter and I'll guide you to check up if you want. I need the exact model of the drive, taking a good quality photo of it's sticker and it's electronics would be the best.

TRENDING THREADS