Question Can a Bad CPU Cause a GPU Debug code?

Sylahr_

Honorable
Jun 10, 2016
Pc won’t post after random crash

I have a ryzen 7 3700x, asrock b450m mobo(a), and rtx 3060 all at stock clock. My pc crashed and when I tried restarting, all I would see is the asrock splash screen, then it would restart and my monitor would display No Signal.

I’ve swapped the gpu with another pc (also amd cpu) and the second pc would work fine, while mine still wouldn’t. I also swapped the ram and psu. I’ve reset the cmos and still no post. (2nd pc booted up normally with each swapped component)

I went and got a 3rd mobo(c) msi b550 with EzDebug and I used my all my original components including the cpu. The debug led is red under VGA. (Stays on for about 7 seconds then turns off for 3 then repeats till I cut power)

So I did more swapping and the new mobo(c) has my original 3700x, but has ram, gpu and psu from the 2nd computer (that turned on every single time with each component)
And the mobo(c) still has vga trouble code.

The only constant between the 2 mobos that didn’t post is the 3700x.
There would be a cpu led code if that was my issue right? Yet the debug led is on vga.

As far as the no signal on my monitor, I have tested 2 different hdmi cables on 2 different monitors and 1 display port on a 3rd monitor.
All either show the splash screen on the monitor mobo(a), and no signal the entire time mobo(c).

All fans and leds turn on when starting up the pc
And the bios is up to date, at least on mobo(c).
No usb power for keyboard though

Any thoughts on why my issue could be? Or suggestions for something I haven’t tried.

1st PC specs: ASRock b450m md Ryzen 7 3700x, Corsair vengeance lpx 32 gb ram, rtx 3060, EVGA 600gd psu, windows 10 on Samsung 240gb ssd
-psu is 3 years old and used daily often

2nd PC specs : Alienware Aurora ryzen edition r10, Ryzen 7 3700x, ballistix 32 gb rtx 3070, dell d550egm 550w psu, Samsung pm9a1 nvme 512gb windows 10
- psu is 3 years old, used daily for about 2 years (average gamer during quarantine) the. Stored with no use for 1 year.

3rd mobo: msi mag b550 tomahawk

Edit: Solved! Bad CPU, replaced it with a new one and it booted up correctly

Last edited:

Ralston18

Titan
Update your post to include full system hardware specs and OS information.

Include PSU(s): make, model, wattage, age, condition?

Did you use cables from any other PSU than the cables that came with the installed PSU?

Any motherboard LEDs or beep codes?

Are you able to go into BIOS prior to full boot?

Will the computer boot into Safe Mode?

Noted component swaps etc.. That is good.

What about swapping in known working cables: video or otherwise?

Sylahr_

Honorable
Jun 10, 2016
Update your post to include full system hardware specs and OS information.

Include PSU(s): make, model, wattage, age, condition?

Did you use cables from any other PSU than the cables that came with the installed PSU?

Any motherboard LEDs or beep codes?

Are you able to go into BIOS prior to full boot?

Will the computer boot into Safe Mode?

Noted component swaps etc.. That is good.

What about swapping in known working cables: video or otherwise?
the psu are non modular, so I was only able to use their own cables.

On immediate start up, there’s a cpu code for a second before it goes away and switches to vga. However there are no audible codes

Also I can’t enter bios, is there a way to do it without a keyboard? I get no keyboard power, no signal on msi mobo, while asrock mobo has splashscreen before it restarts and displays no signal. So I don’t think I can run it in safemode.

Not sure about the swapping known cables, I don’t think I have any extra cables I can use within the pc, the hdmis and display ports work because I was able to get signal using the Alienware.

Ralston18

Titan
Noted: "The only constant between the 2 mobos that didn’t post is the 3700"

That would indeed make the cpu a prime suspect.

I would do some additional component swaps changing only one thing at a time with the objective being to verify that the cpu is the problem. Be methodical, plan it out, and keep notes about what component combinations work (boot) and which combinations do not work (fail to boot).

Pay attention to cables - connectivity can be misleading. A VGA cable between might work between one PC/GPU and its' served monitor but not work when used elsewhere. If the same VGA cable was used for both post failures then the cable is also a suspect.

If possible connect a small speaker to the motherboard(s) so you can hear if any beep codes are being generated. Listen to the codes very carefully - likely some repeating pattern of long and short beeps.

As for the vanishing cpu code that could be simply some "test flash" to indicated that the LED is working. The motherboard's User Guide/Manual and/or the motherboard's manufacturer's website should have some explanation regarding LED lights, codes, and meanings.

As for the PSUs - being 3 years old would be a concern but I would not expect that both would be causing the same set of problems. Especially where no modular cables are involved.

If the boot failures continue with the 3700 then it is likely defective or has been damaged.

Sylahr_

Honorable
Jun 10, 2016
Noted: "The only constant between the 2 mobos that didn’t post is the 3700"

That would indeed make the cpu a prime suspect.

I would do some additional component swaps changing only one thing at a time with the objective being to verify that the cpu is the problem. Be methodical, plan it out, and keep notes about what component combinations work (boot) and which combinations do not work (fail to boot).

Pay attention to cables - connectivity can be misleading. A VGA cable between might work between one PC/GPU and its' served monitor but not work when used elsewhere. If the same VGA cable was used for both post failures then the cable is also a suspect.

If possible connect a small speaker to the motherboard(s) so you can hear if any beep codes are being generated. Listen to the codes very carefully - likely some repeating pattern of long and short beeps.

As for the vanishing cpu code that could be simply some "test flash" to indicated that the LED is working. The motherboard's User Guide/Manual and/or the motherboard's manufacturer's website should have some explanation regarding LED lights, codes, and meanings.

As for the PSUs - being 3 years old would be a concern but I would not expect that both would be causing the same set of problems. Especially where no modular cables are involved.

If the boot failures continue with the 3700 then it is likely defective or has been damaged.
So I took the chance and I replaced the cpu with a new one with my original components and it immediately booted up, so yeah it was definitely a bad chip unfortunately. The vga code absolutely threw me off the trail for sure. Thank you for the help!