Can a bad Hard Drive Cause Blue Screen?

Crassius

Distinguished
Jan 9, 2010
I have a Western Digital WD2500AJS that I had Ubuntu installed on with some legacy files that I rarely booted. I had the Ubuntu operating system fail to boot after becoming too hosed to be worth the time to figure out, and having other back ups of the legacy files I reformatted it and re-installed Ubuntu..... only to have it get hosed after a while.

I am not a big Linux user, so I attributed the failures to my inexperience with the OS and this time wiped the disk and installed a fresh and fully updated version of Win XP SP3 and the old files again.

That worked for a while, but I have just had another failure. This time the OS became very sluggish... something going wrong while in Windows Explorer. A coupe of slow screens later.. BSoD...

The drive had been reformatted and bad sectors repaired before the windows install.

The rig is my primary rig and has run like a champ when booted from its main disk with its main Win XP OS.... it has worked through all the failures and I am typingon it now.... so the blue screen can't be any other hardware on the rig.

I don't see how malware or virus could take down both Linux and Windows either... which leaves the hard disk.... Do I have a bad Hard disk?

Crassius

Distinguished
Jan 9, 2010

Thanks. With the weekend I had time to run this utility.

The quick test failed.

The extended Test failed.

I tried repairing sectors, but that operation failed with "handling Error" a an error code.

I have this data backed up elsewhere, so I guess I will just trash the drive. 1st HDD I have ever had fail on me.

TRENDING THREADS