Question Can a bad motherboard cause low fps ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

aurimasandrisiunas

Honorable
Mar 3, 2018
Hello so i kinda posted something like that but never have found a solution, after my old Mobo Gigabyte AB350M Gaming 3 died, i bought a new mobo ASUS TUF B450 - PLUS Gaming , and now i have low fps, i lost around 30fps in every game. I Did twice a clean install of windows , i installed all mobo and gpu drivers , still same. So what the cause can be ? And i have a D.O.C.P enabled my ram is runing at 3200mhz... My specs are
CPU - Ryzen 5 1400
GPU - Asus Strix GTX 1050Ti 4Gb
RAM - Corsair Vengeance 2x8Gb 3200mhz
PSU - Corsair CX550M
MOBO - ASUS TUF B450 - PLUS Gaming
SSD - Kingston 240Gb

Hello so i kinda posted something like that but never have found a solution, after my old Mobo Gigabyte AB350M Gaming 3 died, i bought a new mobo ASUS TUF B450 - PLUS Gaming , and now i have low fps, i lost around 30fps in every game. I Did twice a clean install of windows , i installed all mobo and gpu drivers , still same. So what the cause can be ? And i have a D.O.C.P enabled my ram is runing at 3200mhz... My specs are
CPU - Ryzen 5 1400
GPU - Asus Strix GTX 1050Ti 4Gb
RAM - Corsair Vengeance 2x8Gb 3200mhz
PSU - Corsair CX550M
MOBO - ASUS TUF B450 - PLUS Gaming
SSD - Kingston 240Gb
First check your CPU temperature, because it might be too high and being throttled to avoid damage. You should check that you properly installed the heat-sink and that your system has good airflow. Check whether your graphics settings in games have changed from before, because it could be possible you are using different settings that are too high for your hardware. Make sure you are not overfilling your SSD if it's the only drive in the system, because full SSDs can cause the system to run slower which can impact game file streaming and fps. Lastly, you could update the bios to the newest specifically for Ryzen 1000/2000 on your B450 motherboard to see if it fixes issues with your CPU on that board.

aurimasandrisiunas

Honorable
Mar 3, 2018
First check your CPU temperature, because it might be too high and being throttled to avoid damage. You should check that you properly installed the heat-sink and that your system has good airflow. Check whether your graphics settings in games have changed from before, because it could be possible you are using different settings that are too high for your hardware. Make sure you are not overfilling your SSD if it's the only drive in the system, because full SSDs can cause the system to run slower which can impact game file streaming and fps. Lastly, you could update the bios to the newest specifically for Ryzen 1000/2000 on your B450 motherboard to see if it fixes issues with your CPU on that board.
My CPU temp never reaches 65 , its allways 55-65 MAX, GPU Temp max 60, all temps are fine , im using MSi Afterburner, graphics settings are the same as allways, SSD has 120gb free space, and my BIOS are the newest version 2008.

My CPU temp never reaches 65 , its allways 55-65 MAX, GPU Temp max 60, all temps are fine , im using MSi Afterburner, graphics settings are the same as allways, SSD has 120gb free space, and my BIOS are the newest version 2008.
Can you give an example of a game that has lower fps and also what graphics settings you are using?

Something else you can try is setting the GPU power settings to maximum performance. In the Nvidia Control Panel, go to Manage 3D settings and temporarily set the Global Settings tab Power Management Options to Prefer maximum performance. If that doesn't change anything set it back to optimal so programs like Battle.net don't cause the GPU to use extra power when idle. If game fps improves, set power settings for the game specifically in the Programs Settings tabs next to Global.

It may not fix anything, but you can also try resetting the bios to factory defaults in the bios or pull the cmos battery. It might fix some issues, but the bios would have been reset when updating it. It's possible you changed a setting in the bios that slowed the system down when configuring stuff and didn't realize.

aurimasandrisiunas

Honorable
Mar 3, 2018
I allways optimize my PC for gaming, like stuff in nvdia control panel, and everything else, Games i play is Fortnite PUBG and League of Legends, and on all 3 of them i have far less fps than i used to have with my Gigabyte ab350m , I have tried to clear CMOS, no luck still. Only thing i can think now is maybe the heatsink is not seated well, otherwise its the motheboard again. My old one died.. Idk what to do..

I allways optimize my PC for gaming, like stuff in nvdia control panel, and everything else, Games i play is Fortnite PUBG and League of Legends, and on all 3 of them i have far less fps than i used to have with my Gigabyte ab350m , I have tried to clear CMOS, no luck still. Only thing i can think now is maybe the heatsink is not seated well, otherwise its the motheboard again. My old one died.. Idk what to do..
How did the previous motherboard die? Does your GTX 1050 TI require a 6pin cable for power?

Oct 14, 2020
Did you try a BIOS update?
It did not help unfortunately. This is my userbenchmark run: https://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/34159142. It's similar to what it was before. I've done:
  • Clean install of windows
  • Installed all mobo drivers and GPU drivers
  • Updated bios
I guess the next step is to check so that everything is sitting OK inside the chassi. Not having a good feeling about this (it all started after I replaced mobo).

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS