Question Can a bad PSU cause GPU fans to spin up to 100% under load and the GPU to black out?

DexSK

Reputable
Oct 17, 2020
The system is about 18 months old, and I keep getting all kinds of weird issues.

Specs:
i7-13700k
Gigabyte GA-Z790 Gaming X AX
64GB Kingston Fury DDR5-6000
Gigabyte GeForce RTX 3070 Ganing OC 8GB
2x Samsung EVO M.2 SSDs
1x Seagate IronWolf 8TB
Seasonic Focus GX 750 Gold PSU

I had BSODs (win32k*.sys) under load with some games, first I thought it was bad RAM, but I've bought a replacement set (2x32GB instead of 4x16), and the issues didn't stop. Next I've tried disabling E-cores after reading up on some older games not handling the Win11 scheduler very well, sending heavy threads to those E-cores, that did solve the BSOD issue, but the other problem stayed around. Under load my display blacks out, GPU fans spin up and only a soft keyboard shortcut reset, or a hard one via the power button lets me boot up normally. There was one thing I've omitted from checking, assuming that a brand new PSU can't be bad, what with the brand quality.
My question is, is it worth a shot to have the PSU tested and replaced if needed? A few days while I'm off on vacation. Or am I completely off the mark and the CPU is bad (disabled E-cores solved at least something).
Thanks alot.

Last edited:

Lutfij

Titan
BIOS version for your motherboard? Did you try using DDU to remove all GPU drivers in Safe Mode then reinstalling with the latest version in an elevated command? I don't see mention of you reinstalling your OS due to a corrupt OS but that's something you can try.

Troubleshooting is ruling out one after the other, so yes if you had a PSU to test out your hunch that would reveal if your PSU got struck in some way, although I doubt that would be the case.

DexSK

Reputable
Oct 17, 2020
Went from F8 (shipped with) to most current F11b, especially because of the power limits (Baseline/Intel POR), that could ease some stress of the CPU. Still no joy. Did DDU also a few days back. I even did test with OCCT, tried multiple runs (maximum half an hour), with no issues whatsoever. I've even read some articles regarding GPU load spikes that could have been the cause, didn't get much out of it. Clean installed Win11 as well already, I was running dirty from my old system with Win10 (in-place upgrade with all sorts of cleanups after moving my system drive), then I've resorted to just backing up all my userprofile settings and reinstalling from scratch.