Question Can a bad PSU prevent my video card from functioning properly?

Nov 19, 2019
So today I just bought a Be quiet pure power 11(600w) power supply to replace a seasonic s12II(520w) that my friend lent me. After i got home installed the PSU and tried booting up windows. Everything seemed ok the computer got past POST but when it got to the windows 10 logo right before the login screen the PC suddenly restarted. This happened every time i tried booting to windows. After a few tries i tried booting into safe mode. To my surprise windows booted without a problem. Since I've never heard of a case where a PSU would prevent the system to boot normally, only letting it boot in safe mode, I tried reinstalling the OS. After the fresh install everything seemed good for a few minutes, but the instant windows started automatically installing my GPU drivers the PC froze again. I then tried installing them manually, same result. Just in case I tried installing them while in safe mode and they installed successfully. Then after trying to boot into windows normally the PC started restarting just like in the beginning. So my question is can a bad PSU prevent my GPU from working properly with the drivers installed or could there some other problem with my hardware.
Specs:
GPU GTX 760
PSU Be quiet! pure power 600w
Ram: 8Gb
CPU: i5-3570
Mb: GA-H61M-S2PV

Last edited:

Ralston18

Titan
Update your post to include full system hardware specs.

Open the case and doublecheck all cables, card seatings, RAM, jumpers, etc..

Ensure that all are fully and firmly seated.

Look in Reliability History: there may be some error code or warning being captured when the PC reboots or freezes.

Nov 19, 2019
Update your post to include full system hardware specs.

Open the case and doublecheck all cables, card seatings, RAM, jumpers, etc..

Ensure that all are fully and firmly seated.

Look in Reliability History: there may be some error code or warning being captured when the PC reboots or freezes.
Hi I updated the specs above. Checked Reliability and there were no events that happened on the times when the PC would freeze up. Just tried using my friends PSU and windows booted up normally, changed back to the new one and again the computer would start restarting, it froze two times instead of restarting but both times happened seemingly random and even then wouldn't go past the windows icon, the hdd light didn't show any activity at the time of the freezes either.

TRENDING THREADS