[SOLVED] Can a bad SSD cause high CPU temps?

Xainne

Honorable
Feb 6, 2015
My SSD went to crap today. Completely freezing my pc within minutes of booting to desktop. Failing to boot 9/10 times and often freezing at the login screen.

Whenever I COULD boot to desktop, I would notice very high CPU temps (90+) Celsius, water cooled. My question is, does a bad SSD cause high CPU temps?

Solution
Your high CPU temp is infinitely more likely to be caused by a failing coolant pump over a faulty SSD....

With power fully removed, you can check pump is still fully locked down to CPU's heat shield, pump header is plugged in, or, try a new application of thermal interface material...

However, many pumps often fail at the 2-3 year point due to contaminants, hard water deposits, or, just outright pump failures.
Your high CPU temp is infinitely more likely to be caused by a failing coolant pump over a faulty SSD....

With power fully removed, you can check pump is still fully locked down to CPU's heat shield, pump header is plugged in, or, try a new application of thermal interface material...

However, many pumps often fail at the 2-3 year point due to contaminants, hard water deposits, or, just outright pump failures.

Solution

Xainne

Honorable
Feb 6, 2015
No not that I could see how. If high temps are a problem then the freezing may as very well not be a bad SSD but rather a bad cooler. Check to see if the pump in the cooler is running, you can usually feel the vibrations of the pump or water flow in the tubes.
During boot up, I would sometimes receive a "insert proper boot device message" - so I'm fairly certain it's a matter of the ssd (my boot drive) failing.

EDIT: Not saying that the CPU temps are caused by the bad SSD. Just stating that the SSD is most probably screwed.

Your SSD might indeed be failing, or, might have simply suffered some data corruption due to the CPU overheating and becoming unstable...

I'd first correct the high CPU temps...then you can worry about trying to correct the SSD and/or OS corruption, most likely by at least a repair install/keep data, or, perhaps your SSD supports a 'secure erase', mandating a full 'like new' reinstall of everythingGood luck....; if the SSD is failing, this might not help for long, but, makes sense to try, as SSDs are not free, despite recent falling prices.

Good luck

InvalidError

Titan
Run the SSD manufacturer's diagnostic tools and that should pretty quickly tell you whether there is something fundamentally wrong with it, although the SSD simply not showing up at all some of the time may hint just as much at a chipset as it does at an SSD issue. You could try a different port or an external enclosure if available. One of my HDDs simply refuses to work reliably in any of my PCs but works perfectly fine in my external drive boxes, so there is a slight possibility of oddball compatibility issue.

As far as CPU temps are concerned, a dying SSD would cause most of the OS to lock up and leave cores stuck in halted state waiting for IO, which shouldn't allow the CPU to get particularly hot unless cooling has failed.

Xainne

Honorable
Feb 6, 2015

Thank you for saving me the trouble of replacing an SSD. Turns out the Liquid Cooling system went bust and wasn't cooling worth jack. 80$ and 1 new liquid cooling system later, PC is as good as new. Temps idling at 25C-30C maxing at 50C.