Can a bent socket pin cause this?

onset

Distinguished
May 26, 2011
Hello!

My old desktop system decided to harshly shut down on me a few days back. It literally shut down instantly, as if it lost power abruptly. I pressed the power button again - case, psu and cpu fans start, but the graphics card fan doesn't start spinning. I also get the analog/digital lack of signal message on my screen, after a few seconds the monitor goes to sleep. My first thought was the pin I accidentally bent a few weeks back causing this, but wouldn't the graphics card fan still start spinning even when the CPU socket is bad?

I tried a second, working graphics card to rule out this being a dead GPU, nothing, the second card doesn't do anything either. The second card although was an old 8600GT with passive cooling and doesn't need any power from the PSU, so I can't really say it didn't get any power.

I removed the CMOS battery to reset my settings(overclocked), checked my ram/ramslot one by one, removed everything, but the essentials and tried starting up, still nothing. I tried a second working PSU, only thing it's quite low power and can't power the GTX260 due to missing 6 pin connectors, so I could only try it on the 8600GT, but still no signal.

I tried remedying the bent pin, but it's not really bendable material, rather springy. Can a faulty socket even cause this, shouldn't the fan of the GPU at least start spinning, or will any further operation get terminated when the CPU doesn't function?

What do you think could be wrong?

onset

Distinguished
May 26, 2011
Mobo: Asus P5NE-SLI
CPU: C2D E4500 2.2GHZ(OC 3.2GHZ)
GPU: BFG GTX 260OC
PSU: Bluestorm 2 500W
RAM: 2x2Gb A-DATA

Now under my profile configuration as well.