[SOLVED] Can a bigger monitor of the same resolution produce less jagged edges?

noonoo300

Prominent
Dec 7, 2017
Hey people of Tom's Hardware!

First of all, forgive my ignorance in advance, since I don't know much about monitors.
I am currently gaming on a 21.5" monitor of 1920x1080 Resolution (GTX 1060 6GB).
My problem is, I'm getting a ton of jagged edges everywhere (while gaming, drawing digitally), unrelieved by any kind of AA - I mean it does makes things more tolerable, but there seems to be no escape from the jaggies.

Recently, after trying everything I could think of, (Reinstalling drivers, Clean installing Windows, etc) I thought that maybe the problem is caused by the fact that the monitor is fairly small compared to it's resolution. Could that be it? Will purchasing a monitor of the same resolution, but bigger, relieve the jaggies? Becasue I know for a fact that my current monitor is cheap, and pretty crappy.

Thank you!

Solution
If you go with a newer monitor I wouldn't get anything less then a 27" 1440P. While the 1060 6gb isn't the best card for that resolution it should be able to handle most games on med-high settings at 60 FPS as long as its paired with a good CPU. The reason I'd get a larger resolution is to help with the jagged edges but also your monitor is your least upgraded part so you want something you'll have for at least like 5 years if not longer.

noonoo300

Prominent
Dec 7, 2017

I am using DSR on whatever I can. But having a 1060 doesn't leave much room for that on the more demanding games.

noonoo300

Prominent
Dec 7, 2017

That's exactly what I'm asking, will buying a monitor, a good monitor, but with the same resolution (Because the 1060 isnt very good for resolutions above that from my understanding) make it better?

WildCard999

Titan
If you go with a newer monitor I wouldn't get anything less then a 27" 1440P. While the 1060 6gb isn't the best card for that resolution it should be able to handle most games on med-high settings at 60 FPS as long as its paired with a good CPU. The reason I'd get a larger resolution is to help with the jagged edges but also your monitor is your least upgraded part so you want something you'll have for at least like 5 years if not longer.

Solution

noonoo300

Prominent
Dec 7, 2017

Well monitors are extremely expensive where I live so I don't know about a 1440p 27" monitor. But thank you for your advice!

WildCard999

Titan

Hmm, have you tried DSR beyond 2X yet? I'd set the graphics for a Low preset and try that, if the FPS are stable then maybe add some AA to it and see if you can eliminate those jaggies.

noonoo300

Prominent
Dec 7, 2017

I'ts just that, when i look at other 1080p monitors, they don't seem to be producing as many jaggies. even the huge 1080p ones.

WildCard999

Titan

Is your current monitor older? The PPI (pixels per inch) would be slightly different on a newer larger monitor so it may look a bit better.

noonoo300

Prominent
Dec 7, 2017

Yeah, my monitor is definitely older.