[SOLVED] Can a "bottleneck" or something like that physically damage any components?

Dec 14, 2021
Edit: answered thanks

My question is, in case of a bottleneck or something, can this combo of GPU and CPU physically risk any of my components in any way? I guess that their usage and temperature will often be pretty high depending on the games I play.

Thanks

Last edited:
A 6600XT can usually run on a 550w psu.
http://www.realhardtechx.com/index_archivos/Page362.htm

But some cheap 650w units can't even deliver that safely.
What is the make/model of your psu?

What is your current GPU?
You may be more cpu limited than you think.
Try this simple test first:
Run YOUR games, but lower your resolution and eye candy.
This makes the graphics card loaf a bit.
If your FPS increases, it indicates that your cpu is strong enough to drive a better graphics configuration.
If your FPS stays the same, you are likely more cpu limited.

Dec 14, 2021
Eventually I decided to get GTX 1650 (4GB) because it fits my needs and more reasons, based on a calculation made with (https://pc-builds.com/calculator/) there's going to be a %8 bottleneck. It's not a big deal right?
My other choice is to get more expensive GPU and get a new CPU and maybe some more, and the prices here are too high anyway so I rather use a 4GB GPU, it's decent for regular 'gamers' like me.

USAFRet

Titan
Eventually I decided to get GTX 1650 (4GB) because it fits my needs and more reasons, based on a calculation made with (https://pc-builds.com/calculator/) there's going to be a %8 bottleneck. It's not a big deal right?
My other choice is to get more expensive GPU and get a new CPU and maybe some more, and the prices here are too high anyway so I rather use a 4GB GPU, it's decent for regular 'gamers' like me.
That "calculator" is absolute trash.
Totally meaningless, no connection with any sort of reality.

Ignore it completely. Tell all your friends.

Dec 14, 2021
I mean here's the thing - I really want to get a new GPU, I really don't want to get a new CPU. My current CPU is Intel Core i5-4670. I just want to be able to play modern games at 1080p 30-60fps high settings. I could buy a GPU long time ago I just still can't decide which one is the best for me lol.
For example RX 6600 was a good choice at first (even though it's over priced where I'm from), but if the bottleneck is high there's no point to spend so much money on it. I don't know how to check bottlenecks except of that calculator which in your opinion is inaccurate.

Is Gigabyte GTX 1650 OC ok?

USAFRet

Titan
How am I supposed to check a more accurate bottleneck then? This detail is super important to me in order to decide which GPU to get..
"bottleneck" is a meaningless term.
You can't determine that in isolation. Game A may be more CPU intensive, Game B more GPU intensive.

There is no "number".

You buy the best components you can and want to afford.

A really good GPU paired with an average CPU may show a larger 'bottleneck' number.
But it also gives you better performance.

FPS will stay the same, but you can turn the graphics up to 11. :eek:

USAFRet

Titan
From my previous system, i7-4790k and RX580.
From that "calculator", what would be the correct bottleneck number?

18% or 1.78%?
The answer is both. Or neither....
wIInGkd.jpg

Dec 14, 2021
"bottleneck" is a meaningless term.
You can't determine that in isolation. Game A may be more CPU intensive, Game B more GPU intensive.

There is no "number".

You buy the best components you can and want to afford.

A really good GPU paired with an average CPU may show a larger 'bottleneck' number.
But it also gives you better performance.

FPS will stay the same, but you can turn the graphics up to 11. :eek:

Look technically I can afford myself a new CPU and an expensive GPU. Question is if I really need that for 1080p 60fps gaming. Because if I don't, I don't want to spend that money. The prices here are unfair anyway. After searching for a long long time, and taking into account the prices where I'm from, I came up with 2 options:
-RX 6600 8GB for $700 (it's not even XT), I gave up on it after finding out that there may be a huge bottleneck (well based on the calculator you claimed is inaccurate)
-Gigabyte GTX 1650 4GB for $450, which won't be so relevant for the long term but for now I think it fits my needs.

Please. Just tell me what to buy. I just want to play games I'm tired of this lol

Last edited:

USAFRet

Titan
Look technically I can afford myself a new CPU and an expensive GPU. Question is if I really need that for 1080p 60fps gaming. Because if I don't, I don't want to spend that money. The prices here are unfair anyway. After searching for a long long time, and taking into account the prices where I'm from, I came up with 2 options:
-RX 6600 8GB for $700 (it's not even XT), I gave up on it after finding out that there may be a huge bottleneck
-Gigabyte GTX 1650 4GB, which won't be so relevant for the long term but for now I think it fits my needs.

Please. Just tell me what to buy. I just want to play games I'm tired of this lol
The 1650 is just fine.

Or the RX 6600, if you want to spend that much.

Again, ignore "bottleneck".

Putting in a better GPU does not reduce performance.

Dec 14, 2021
The 1650 is just fine.

Or the RX 6600, if you want to spend that much.

Again, ignore "bottleneck".

Putting in a better GPU does not reduce performance.

Nah it's not about reducing perfomance, but at the end of the day if you pay for a 4 wheels car you want to drive it with 4 wheels, not 3 even though it may drive somehow.. You got me.
Anyway I need to think for the last time if I want to upgrade the CPU and get a good GPU for the long term or just get the GTX 1650 and that's it. But for now I think I'll take the GTX. Thanks for the help.

USAFRet

Titan
Nah it's not about reducing perfomance, but at the end of the day if you pay for a 4 wheels car you want to drive it with 4 wheels, not 3 even though it may drive somehow.. You got me.
Anyway I need to think for the last time if I want to upgrade the CPU and get a good GPU for the long term or just get the GTX 1650 and that's it. But for now I think I'll take the GTX. Thanks for the help.
Mostly, the CPU gives the framerate, the GPU provides the eyecandy.

Putting in a better GPU will not increase the FPS. But you can turn the graphics level up.
Putting in a better CPU will increase the FPS, up to whatever level the GPU can render and keep up with at your desired graphics level.

Dec 14, 2021
Mostly, the CPU gives the framerate, the GPU provides the eyecandy.

Putting in a better GPU will not increase the FPS. But you can turn the graphics level up.
Putting in a better CPU will increase the FPS, up to whatever level the GPU can render and keep up with at your desired graphics level.
Good to know, thanks. Right now I need the GPU for the graphic settings (I have 1GB of VRAM and many games require 2GB just for the minimum). Based on some videos on youtube I saw that I'll be able to run most games at 1080p and close to 60fps, with the GTX 1650 and my current CPU Intel Core i5-4670.
The only disadvantage is the long term, in a couple years (maybe sooner than later) this GTX will probably be too outdated, but I don't mind TBH, I'm not a big gamer. Just want something decent for nowadays games at least.

USAFRet

Titan
Good to know, thanks. Right now I need the GPU for the graphic settings (I have 1GB of VRAM and many games require 2GB just for the minimum). Based on some videos on youtube I saw that I'll be able to run most games at 1080p and close to 60fps, with the GTX 1650 and my current CPU Intel Core i5-4670.
The only disadvantage is the long term, in a couple years (maybe sooner than later) this GTX will probably be too outdated, but I don't mind TBH, I'm not a big gamer. Just want something decent for nowadays games at least.
The 1650 should be fine.
Worry about "in a couple years " in 2024...;)

Reactions: xUser2021
There is no such thing as "bottlenecking"
If, by that, you mean that upgrading a cpu or graphics card can
somehow lower your performance or FPS.
A better term might be limiting factor.
That is where adding more cpu or gpu becomes increasingly
less effective.

Dis you try the test I referenced above?
That should give you some indication if you are more limited by the cpu or the gpu.

What, if any is your current graphics?
If you are using integrated, ANY discrete graphics card will be a nice upgrade.

Not knowing what you have now, I can only suggest that any graphics upgrade be a biggish boost or you run the risk ov being disappointed if you do not see magical results.

Reactions: xUser2021

TRENDING THREADS