[SOLVED] can a broken motherboard to destroy card graphics?

Nov 2, 2020
I bought a New graphics card for my pc and I tried to put it on it work for several minutes I even install the drivers and suddenly I saw black screen and my pc restart then it happed again and again after that my pc starts with the motherboards graphics so my motherboard doesnt recognize this card graphics anymore I take off the card and I saw that I broke 2 capacitors I went to a friend pc to see if his motherboard recognize my card but no luck can this motherboard with 2 broken capacitor to destroyed my card?

Solution
no it was OK I installed the GPU and probobly I broke them up
O ok then. Well depending on what they were being used for, yea that can royally screw up a card. If they were decoupling capacitors then the voltages could be noisy. If they were coupling capacitors then you have signal loss.

Zer0123

Reputable
Aug 8, 2017
It would be unlikely for the mobo itself to have killed the GPU, but it is possible for a faulty PSU to damage both the mobo and the GPU. Popped capacitors are mostly the result of bad voltages and/or overheating. So it's more likely for your PSU to have damaged both the mobo and the GPU, than the mobo itself killing the GPU.

Nov 2, 2020
It would be unlikely for the mobo itself to have killed the GPU, but it is possible for a faulty PSU to damage both the mobo and the GPU. Popped capacitors are mostly the result of bad voltages and/or overheating. So it's more likely for your PSU to have damaged both the mobo and the GPU, than the mobo itself killing the GPU.
look I broke up the capacitors and I bought today a New psu the motherboard is working fine with his own graphics but the graphics card cant give a singal so idk

Nov 2, 2020
you maybe think tha the problem is the broken capacitors or no?

Zer0123

Reputable
Aug 8, 2017
you maybe think tha the problem is the broken capacitors or no?
Well it's not impossible, but very unlikely. Theoretically if there are any irregularities in the voltage, it could damage and short the components, but the mobo doesn't have enough power to actually destroy a GPU. But yes it's possible, especially if the card is entirely powered by the PCI-E slot.

Nov 2, 2020
Well it's not impossible, but very unlikely. Theoretically if there are any irregularities in the voltage, it could damage and short the components, but the mobo doesn't have enough power to actually destroy a GPU. But yes it's possible, especially if the card is entirely powered by the PCI-E slot.
the card is strix rx 470 4gb and has 6 pin external power and the mobo is asrock h81m what do you think about that

Pytheus

Prominent
Oct 28, 2020
no it was OK I installed the GPU and probobly I broke them up
O ok then. Well depending on what they were being used for, yea that can royally screw up a card. If they were decoupling capacitors then the voltages could be noisy. If they were coupling capacitors then you have signal loss.

Solution
Nov 2, 2020
I went to a guy and he replace 12v capacitors to 50v Is that normal or I will have problem