Can a Computer Virus destroy Hardware???

23dexter89

Distinguished
Jul 14, 2010
I have two questions.

1)I know a Virus can completely ruin a PC by screwing with the OS and AVS but what about the hardware???? Can Viruses cause VGA burnouts or Corrupt hard drives or even damage CPU & RAM?

2)What are the Symptoms of identifying a Virus Attack?(I've heard that Some viruses remain undetected by AVS but still rain havoc inside the system)

Any help would be appreciated. :)

mary221

Distinguished
Mar 7, 2011
1) A virus can do a lot of hardware damages. Processor burning by overvoltage, hard disk drive failure, by producing marking bad sectors in SA (Service Area).

In the past, (before 2000's) it was possible even to broke monitors (by burning the electronics) and hard disk drives (destroying the coil that move the actuator). Nowadays is almost impossible to do this.

I am not going to suggest how this things were done....

2) symptoms: a) 100% processor
b) slow boot up
c) install a firewall besides antivirus and check which program is trying to access internet
d) use several antiviruses to scan computer ( only one antivirus monitors installed) see my other posts

sneakyspider

Distinguished
May 3, 2011
at first my vga stopped suddenly when i ran a game, in the next time it stopped while in desktop, third time it happend while booting after bios, last time it happend before bios. im going nuts here, i tried so many thing by going remote desktop thru my notebook to resolve (before the screen go blank lan worked and after lan goes down. but if get thru the lan although the screen goes black lan will remain connected.) vgs is a 9600gt nvidia, and i tried to install intel onboard vga drivers but system wont let me saying not enough requirements. this is making me nuttz... info, i caught a win32/huer before all these happen and i accidently right clicked on it, would that be the cause? or is there something wrong with my hardware???

computerblue

Distinguished
Apr 26, 2011

Have you tried another monitor? Checked to make sure it's connected tightly?