Question Can a Corsair 520w power supply power a gigabyte GTX 980 G1 Gaming?

Feb 22, 2019
Hi everybody,

Im thinking of getting a GTX 980 (Gigabyte G1 Gaming) to upgrade my current GTX 670. I currently have a corsair 520w power supply.

I went to see the recommended wattage for the GTX 980 on gigabyte's website, and it recommends 600 watts.

Im worried that my 520 watt powersupply isnt enough to power the 980.

Can anyone tell me if 520 watts is enough?

Thanks in advance.

hutchl

Distinguished
Apr 3, 2014
if its an HX520w its got 480w on the 12v rail, which should be sufficient to power the system, just be aware you are going to be reaching its peak efficiency. I would recommend a new PSU to be on the safe side.

Hi everybody,

Im thinking of getting a GTX 980 (Gigabyte G1 Gaming) to upgrade my current GTX 670. I currently have a corsair 520w power supply.

I went to see the recommended wattage for the GTX 980 on gigabyte's website, and it recommends 600 watts.

Im worried that my 520 watt powersupply isnt enough to power the 980.

Can anyone tell me if 520 watts is enough?

Thanks in advance.

What PSU is it exactly?

it will work, but althoug its a good PSU series from corsair, you must take into account that you are under minimun recomended, and the age of the PSU, remenber it tends gradually to lose power due to degrading components on the PSU, so you may be setting the final sentence to your PSU, I recommend you upgrading also your PSU to something like 650W good branded certified as soon as you can.