can a coruped bios keep the mather boord from booting and no beebs?

giftslayer

Prominent
Nov 23, 2017
hi i found a box full of old motherboards. So i started testing them to sea witch ones work. So far 4 out of 9 work but some of the ones that is not working just lets the fans spin but there is no post on screen and no beebs. So i was wondering if the bios can be coruped and cause no beebs or is it when you hear no beebs by removing the ram and keeping the cpu in mean that the board is dead

Solution

R_1

Expert
Ambassador
A corrupted BIOS will brick the motherboard. the BIOS has to load first, before anything else and if it cannot load nothing else can. the answer is yes.

make sure the speaker is connected to the motherboard, not many motherboards have on-board speakers. the speaker connection will be near the front panel connector and is 4 pins. pins 1 and 4 are active.

with a speaker connected, force a beep code by removing the RAM and attempting to boot. if you get no beeps with the speaker, CPU, GPU and keyboard connected, the motherboard is dead in my experiences.

giftslayer

Prominent
Nov 23, 2017

yes i removed the ram so only thing pluged in was the CPU, PSU, VGA and beeb-speaker no mouse no keyboard and try'd it with mouse and keyboard and the beeb-speaker does work bc i tested it with one of the working boards but no beebs from the non working board. Is ther eny whay of reflashing the bios i heard some ppl say you can do that

R_1

Expert
Ambassador

recovery is totally dependent on the motherboard. some have a backup BIOS so you can recover in the case of a bad flash. without a recovery feature like that I do not know of any way to repair the BIOS short of removing the CHIP and replacing it. again not every motherboard has a BIOS chip that is removable and you would need an identical damaged board.

Solution

giftslayer

Prominent
Nov 23, 2017

k then il try the only thing i found on the internet is to try and remove the bios chip and but it into a nother computer thats on and then reflash it. Don't think it will work but can try

nope wont be bale to the pins are whay to smaal will need specal tools for it :(