Question Can a CPU affect ram slots?

Aug 29, 2020
I've recently upgraded from 8 GB single stick ram to 16GB dual stick ram and have encountered a few problems. First, only half of the ram is being detected in windows even though it's being shown in the bios. Also, after running a single stick test on every slot, only the first two slots can boot and the other two won't. Meaning I can only run a single channel to get 16 GB. Should I get a new CPU or a new Motherboard!?
SPECS
CPU: Ryzen 3 1200
RAM: HyperX Kingston 16GB 3200MHZ DDR4 CL16 DIMM (KIT of 2) XMP Predator (HX432C16PB3K2/16)
Motherboard: Gigabyte B450M DS3H

• The motherboard is brand new
  • The ram is on the motherboards QVL

I've recently upgraded from 8 GB single stick ram to 16GB dual stick ram and have encountered a few problems. First, only half of the ram is being detected in windows even though it's being shown in the bios. Also, after running a single stick test on every slot, only the first two slots can boot and the other two won't. Meaning I can only run a single channel to get 16 GB. Should I get a new CPU or a new Motherboard!?
SPECS
CPU: Ryzen 3 1200
RAM: HyperX Kingston 16GB 3200MHZ DDR4 CL16 DIMM (KIT of 2) XMP Predator (HX432C16PB3K2/16)
Motherboard: Gigabyte B450M DS3H

• The motherboard is brand new
  • The ram is on the motherboards QVL
Memory controller is on the CPU, not the motherboard. The motherboard supports DDR 3200 but Ryzen 1200 does not. Try running memory at 2933mhz.

Aug 29, 2020
Perhaps check in the motherboard manual that you have installed the two sticks in the correct slots
When the ram is in the correct slots only half is being detected (I have four slots). However, the computer detects 16 when I put the sticks side to side. Also, a single stick should be able to boot on all slots but mine doesn't. Both sticks of ram works btw.

TRENDING THREADS