Question Can a CPU be deffective if it works in BIOS but not in Windows?

handsomepigeon

Commendable
Jul 14, 2016
I've found a good deal on a CPU sold for parts. The seller says that it works in BIOS, but freezes on the Windows loading logo. He says he's not sure if it's a problem with the motherboard or the CPU.

I know that there are no guarentees. But how likely is it that this is a CPU problem?

It could be a thermal issue. Could this be a problem with the CPU itself or is it just that the heatsink is not attached correctly.

Other than that, I don't see how not being able to boot to Windows would be a CPU problem. It sounds more likely to be a corruption problem or maybe a RAM problem to me. But what do I know.

Should I take the leap of faith? It's £100 cheaper right now than a same "working" 2nd hand CPU.

Zephyl

Commendable
Mar 13, 2017
That sounds like something that would happen if you tried to run Win 7 on a Ryzen. Unless you can contact the seller and ask some questions, though, I wouldn't chance it (that is, unless it is very cheap).

handsomepigeon

Commendable
Jul 14, 2016
That sounds like something that would happen if you tried to run Win 7 on a Ryzen. Unless you can contact the seller and ask some questions, though, I wouldn't chance it (that is, unless it is very cheap).
It's an I7 I've asked him what the temps are like in BIOS and if he overclocked it. But he doesn't have any seller feedback.

Last edited:

handsomepigeon

Commendable
Jul 14, 2016
He said temps were 30-40C and not overclocked. He said he didn't have a spare mobo to test if it was the mobo or the CPU. He has 38 feedback on eBay but no seller feedback. If the price doesn't go up, I might consider buying it

Rogue Leader

It's a trap!
Motherboards fail far more often than CPUs. CPUs have like a 0.5% failure rate. That said I'd be wary of buying a PC that doesn't work from someone with no seller feedback. If the motherboard did fail and its an older system now you are chasing down an old out of production motherboard.

Anything we tell you here without seeing or touching the system is just a guess. And i7 doesn't mean much, it could be a 1st Gen i7, or a 6th, or an 8th, depending which it is and what the price is changes whether the gamble is worth it.

I'd pass on it.

Rogue Leader

It's a trap!
Well the back looks normal to me. Anything that I should look for? It's an i7 4790k

Unless its visibly scratched on the back or one of the tiny transistors in the middle are busted off there is no way to tell if its bad or not. Its likely not bad as I said CPUs rarely fail. The pins are in the CPU socket, if they aren't bent thats good too.

Again though that could mean the motherboard is bad, the memory is bad, both are bad. Or maybe the cooler went bad and he overheated it and burnt the CPU, no way to tell again. Its a gamble either way.

Reactions: TJ Hooker

Scott Wayne

Honorable
Mar 11, 2015
MOST CPU WILL BOOT IN BIOS BUT IF YOR PC IS NOT A ARM3 I it still boots up bot the data pool wont update meaning you cant boot into windows ive ran into that issue with my amd anthos zeon cpu i tried useing a anthox cpu wich was faster but diffrent class pc booted in bios but was not powerrful enough for the cpu datta pool would not update

Rogue Leader

It's a trap!
MOST CPU WILL BOOT IN BIOS BUT IF YOR PC IS NOT A ARM3 I it still boots up bot the data pool wont update meaning you cant boot into windows ive ran into that issue with my amd anthos zeon cpu i tried useing a anthox cpu wich was faster but diffrent class pc booted in bios but was not powerrful enough for the cpu datta pool would not update

There is literally nothing in this post that makes one bit of sense.

What in the world is an amd anthos zeon, this does not exist. And "data pool update" is just straight up made up.

Try again maybe?

Reactions: Barty1884