[SOLVED] Can a cpu cause artifacting

dj1997

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2010
as above could a faulty cpu cause artifacting as ive been having graphical flicker and textures flickering and tearing now I know everyone will dive at the gpu dying route but the thing is I have tried 3 different cards know good ones and the issue persists
Please help lol I'm pulling me hair out now

Solution
Some GPUs have very high fluctuations in current required on their power inputs...given an issue with the PSU being a tad weak pr mainboard's inability to regulate the up to 75W of power supplied thru the PCI-e slot, or a coomnination of both that might only show up with that PSU and that specific mainboard...

I'd try another known good PSU of more than sufficient wattage first...(do NOT mix modular cables from one PSU with another, lest your burn up your components 'lickety-split'!)

Zerk2012

Titan
Ambassador
as above could a faulty cpu cause artifacting as ive been having graphical flicker and textures flickering and tearing now I know everyone will dive at the gup dying route but the thing is I have tried 3 different cards know good ones and the issue persists
Please help lol I'm pulling me hair out now
Download and run OCCT to stress test the CPU but I never heard of that I would try a different cable, monitor, from their use a driver sweeper to remove all traces of video drivers and reinstalled the latest driver for the card.

dj1997

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2010
It could be driver issues, effectively Windows, yes.
  1. Do what @Zerk2012 suggested.
  2. As a last resort, type "Reset this PC" in the start menu. Keep in mind that will basically re-install Windows. Make sure you back up any important data off of your system drive/partition.
Hi I have used a different slot for the gpu same issue I have reinstalled windows same issue
I have even reseated the cpu same issue

Sep 16, 2020
Hi I have used a different slot for the gpu same issue I have reinstalled windows same issue
I have even reseated the cpu same issue

It's extremely unlikely (because you'd expect a BSOD if your RAM is bad), but try a memory test too.

Otherwise, you're going to have to try find another motherboard or CPU to eliminate those variables.

dj1997

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2010
It's extremely unlikely (because you'd expect a BSOD if your RAM is bad), but try a memory test too.

Otherwise, you're going to have to try find another motherboard or CPU to eliminate those variables.
I belive it is the cpu causing the issue now I need a bit of advice if its OK?
Would I be better off replacing the 9600k with a 9900k
Or would I be better getting a 10700k and a z490 board
Or a 3800xt and x570 board
Many thanks

Some GPUs have very high fluctuations in current required on their power inputs...given an issue with the PSU being a tad weak pr mainboard's inability to regulate the up to 75W of power supplied thru the PCI-e slot, or a coomnination of both that might only show up with that PSU and that specific mainboard...

I'd try another known good PSU of more than sufficient wattage first...(do NOT mix modular cables from one PSU with another, lest your burn up your components 'lickety-split'!)

Solution
Sep 16, 2020
Or a 3800xt and x570 board

I would wait for information on Zen3, which will be launching in less than a month (October 8). AMD claims a big IPC improvement and everything that Intel currently has on offer is varying degrees of competitive with Zen2.

Plenty of time to try another PSU.

dj1997

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2010

Hi thanks for the advice ill definitely try another psu just incase but I have an rmx850 so it shouldn't be that but nonetheless I have no idea what the issue is really so I'll try it also it shouldn't really be the mobo struggling to supply power one of the cards I've tested with is a gtx950 so very low power draw
I'll list my specs so you can have a look and see if you have any more suggestions many thanks
I5 9600kf
32gb patriot viper steel ddr4 3600mhz c17
Gigabyte aorus pro z390
Corsair rmx850 power supply
Powercolor radeon rx5700xt
Secondary card testing the issue gtx950
Samsung 970 evo plus nvme ssd
All under a custom loop with 720mm rad space in push pull so not heat related