Question Cant boot new motherboard, tested new parts, but it won't start.. Please advice

Apr 8, 2020
Hi there,

I'm having some bad problems here and I really need some advice, I'm pulling my hair out over this. If you have any advice please post a reply.

First, my PC was working great, then it turned off one day, I unplugged the cable and plugged it back and heard a shock it didn't sound good. My first feeling was that the PSU was broken so I ordered a new PSU anyway. I performed the paper clip on this PSU so I knew it wasn't DOA it didn't work on the motherboard though.

I came to the sound conclusion that it had blown my motherboard, so I ordered a new motherboard from the amazon (accordingly used with minor box damage) it arrived and I set up as normal (CPU & RAM) and tried to boot again but alas it would not.

So I have three options on what happened

• The first shock actually fired not just my motherboard but the CPU and other parts also.
  • The board that arrived is DOA and that's why it won't boot
  • The CPU has been damaged but it may have also damaged this new motherboard too.,.
I note that I still get through power with the ETHERNET led on the motherboard [same on old mobo] when power is connected through the motherboard. There have never been any motherboard lights, or have I managed to POST on any of the boards yet.. All parts are validated as working on the same build also.

* I notice that on my previous motherboard there looks to be some brown almost discoloring on the CPU pin ports. Is my CPU faulty?

Last edited:
Apr 8, 2020
Yes.

If a CPU that's internally shorted to ground is installed on a new motherboard it's VRM can be damaged which in turn could damage the PSU if it lacks robust enough over current protections.
I notice on first motherboard there is some slight brown discolouring on the silicone plastic where the pins for the CPU would enter. Could this be it? Or is just normal heat damage?

Im unsure of the route to take here, I've ordered another motherboard to be sure that the one I ordered wasn;t DOA. It hard decisions to make.

I notice on first motherboard there is some slight brown discolouring on the silicone plastic where the pins for the CPU would enter. Could this be it? Or is just normal heat damage?

Im unsure of the route to take here, I've ordered another motherboard to be sure that the one I ordered wasn;t DOA. It hard decisions to make.
I totally agree it's hard and I'd be equally cautious. I'd tend to consider the CPU as a goner, especially with those brown marks on the CPU socket that are very likely from overheating. I don't think it's normal for that to happen with any CPU, let alone a 2400g. But then I don't have the socket to look at, pictures would help, but the decision is still yours.

BTW...the cpu's still in warranty. Contact AMD tech support with this and they may exchange it on an RMA. Same for the motherboard.

should I explain that the cpu seems to be blowing up new motherboards is that even covered? I may of damaged it due to a surge so :/

Kinda tricky one that because if you know something might be wrong with the cpu and then tested it with MB and it broken that they might might say no to RMA so best to keep it clear motherboard is not working and dont say anything about the cpu being faulty thats if its the new MB and you can RMA or repiair it. If its the old MB then explain that CPU is faulty and might broken MB and think you can RMA

Apr 8, 2020
The other option is that the 2nd motherboard I purchased was DOA, so I can't really be 100% sure what exactly the problem is. I submitted a request on the AMD website, I simply said I want to RMA as the item is faulty.

should I explain that the cpu seems to be blowing up new motherboards is that even covered? I may of damaged it due to a surge so :/
I'd tell them your system was faulty, you replaced motherboard and PSU then installed this CPU and it's still faulty. There are no indications it's the memory. They may ask some questions, maybe not. If they give you an RMA you'll send the CPU in (be sure to package it CAREFULLY, in the same clam shell package it came in if possible). They'll test it...if it's really faulty they'll send you a replacement otherwise they'll return it to you.

Of course, this does assume you've ruled everything else out as suggested by your question. So at this point maybe it's best to get a full background:

what happens when you turned on power? any lights or fans? have you tested it without memory modules or drives - there's no dGPU - to be sure they aren't the source of short? have you check for misplaced standoffs or missing standoffs the let the bottom of the board short to the case?

Have you disconnected the PSU, completely, and done the 'paper clip test'?

Last edited:
Apr 8, 2020
I'd tell them your system was faulty, you replaced motherboard and PSU then installed this CPU and it's still faulty. There are no indications it's the memory. They may ask some questions, maybe not. If they give you an RMA you'll send the CPU in (be sure to package it CAREFULLY, in the same clam shell package it came in if possible). They'll test it...if it's really faulty they'll send you a replacement otherwise they'll return it to you.

Of course, this does assume you've ruled everything else out as suggested by your question. So at this point maybe it's best to get a full background:

what happens when you turned on power? any lights or fans? have you tested it without memory modules or drives - there's no dGPU - to be sure they aren't the source of short? have you check for misplaced standoffs or missing standoffs the let the bottom of the board short to the case?

Have you disconnected the PSU, completely, and done the 'paper clip test'?

Hi yes I paperclip tested a new PSU I brought thinking the previous one was broken. It is working fine with the paperclip test.

Currently, when I power up the old board and the new board, I only get the ethernet LED on. I tried to breadboard both without the any components. However, when the 2nd motherboard arrived, I never tested it without the CPU in it so I cannot be sure if it is a faulty CPU damaging the board. I am returning the new motherboard anyway under DOA.

Apr 8, 2020
Tried new motherboard without anything but PSU, for lights and still no lights.. Have amazon just sent me two motherboards which are DOA?

Mmm
PSU is fine, paper clipped tested.

Apr 8, 2020
Got new motherboard today and did a tests with just the PSU for motherboard lights.. No lights on board only lights on ethernet cable lights...

Im confused.. have amazon just sent me two DOA's boards??? brand new PSu paper clipped tested and two new DOA boards from amazon.. I don't think my CPU Is damaged I think the boards I got from amazon are DOA.
Can this new PSU be broken because of it

Last edited:
Got new motherboard today and did a tests with just the PSU for motherboard lights.. No lights on ethernet lights... Im confused.. have amazon just sent me two DOA's boards???

Can this new PSU be broken because of it

If the PSU is of good quality with good protections (over current protect, over power protect, over voltage protect, under voltage protect) it's not likely, although anything's possible.

What hardware do you have? complete system specs.
What all was connected when you attempted this? If lacking certain things the system may simply refuse to power on the PSU.

It's probably best advised to set up your system outside the case. Don't put the motherboard on the bag it came in, most people use the box but I use a towel on the desktop. Then install CPU, cooler, memory and GPU (if you have one) and connect PSU where power is needed (4+4pin cpu, 24pin mobo, SATA drives, 6+ pin GPU if you have one that needs it). Once everything is connected you can power on the system by putting a short across the two PWR_SW pins on the front panel header for a couple seconds then removing it.

You don't need drives as you can get into BIOS at least as proof that it's working, but hooking them up lets you go ahead and install Windows and run some burn-in diagnostics for a while.

Last edited:
Apr 8, 2020
If the PSU is of good quality with good protections (over current protect, over power protect, over voltage protect, under voltage protect) it's not likely, although anything's possible.

What hardware do you have? complete system specs.
What all was connected when you attempted this? If lacking certain things the system may simply refuse to power on the PSU.

It's probably best advised to set up your system outside the case. Don't put the motherboard on the bag it came in, most people use the box but I use a towel on the desktop. Then install CPU, cooler, memory and GPU (if you have one) and connect PSU where power is needed (4+4pin cpu, 24pin mobo, SATA drives, 6+ pin GPU if you have one that needs it). Once everything is connected you can power on the system by putting a short across the two PWR_SW pins on the front panel header for a couple seconds then removing it.

You don't need drives as you can get into BIOS at least as proof that it's working, but hooking them up lets you go ahead and install Windows and run some burn-in diagnostics for a while.
yes but even that when you plug 8 pin & 24 pin both these motherboards never had any main lights turn on so I assume they are doa before any components were even added.

both these boards were from the used section, they appeared open. I assume amazon they are returns both of which are broken.

Also did did breadboard on the box with the just the PSU connectors on the board, still no LEDs

Last edited: