[SOLVED] Can a damaged GPU harm other components on a computer?

Mar 29, 2022
i have an untested GPU i bought from a pawn shop, i dont have a testing rig, only my daily drive PC. there probably isn't, is there a way that if this GPU is bad it might cause problems for my PC?

Solution
Yes.

Consider that there is some sort of damage in the GPU. Perhaps an electrical short that sends electrical current to places or along paths the current should not go.

May have come from a mining rig: if so, could be in very bad shape....

Just for the record: Make, model, version GPU. What packaging, if any?

Condition: dirty, clean, wrapped, any documentation?

All in all you do need a sacrificial system to test the GPU.

Ralston18

Titan
Yes.

Consider that there is some sort of damage in the GPU. Perhaps an electrical short that sends electrical current to places or along paths the current should not go.

Solution
Mar 29, 2022
Yes.

its an OEM model of the PNY 660 from an Alienware PC, raw dogged on the pawnshop shelf no packaging

slightly dusty around the fan, but not bad looking otherwise, no signs of shorts on the underside of the board, haven't demoed it yet to check the top side, likely won't

Ralston18

Titan
Damage may not be visible.

= = = =

Look for the specific model and version number on the GPU.

Go online and look for the User Guide/Manual, FAQs, Reviews, etc.. Try to get a sense of how durable and reliable the GPU is/was.

Hopefully the PNY 660 fully works but there is no way to know without some risk to the host test system and/or the GPU itself.