Can a damaged graphics card cause my computer to shut down and restart at random times?

erigthekid

Honorable
Jan 25, 2017
My graphics card fans broke and it has overheated a good 20 times at 90C for 10-15 minutes at a time (75% of the time i wansnt aware) and now my computer restarts at random times. I just want to know if its my graphics card that is causing this (IT DOES NOT OVERHEAT ANYMORE - LATELY TEMPS HAVE BEEN A HIGH OF 50C DUE TO ME NOT DOING ANYTHING EXCEPT LOOKING ON YOUTUBE) or if an overheating graphics card can cause damage to other hardware and its like my motherboard/processor or something.

Solution
If the GPU got damaged from overheating, it is possible that internal errors are triggering a reset to prevent or at least limit data corruption.

Another possibility is that high GPU temperatures are merely coincidental and a dying PSU is the actual cause of the reboots/restarts as is frequently the case in PCs that worked fine for months or even years, then mysteriously begin randomly rebooting/restarting increasingly frequently for increasingly unclear or trivial reasons.

InvalidError

Titan
If the GPU got damaged from overheating, it is possible that internal errors are triggering a reset to prevent or at least limit data corruption.

Another possibility is that high GPU temperatures are merely coincidental and a dying PSU is the actual cause of the reboots/restarts as is frequently the case in PCs that worked fine for months or even years, then mysteriously begin randomly rebooting/restarting increasingly frequently for increasingly unclear or trivial reasons.

Solution