Can a damaged graphics card cause my computer to shut down and restart at random times?

erigthekid

Commendable
Jan 25, 2017
My graphics card fans broke and it has overheated a good 20 times at 90C for 10-15 minutes at a time (75% of the time i wansnt aware) and now my computer restarts at random times. I just want to know if its my graphics card that is causing this (IT DOES NOT OVERHEAT ANYMORE - LATELY TEMPS HAVE BEEN A HIGH OF 50C DUE TO ME NOT DOING ANYTHING EXCEPT LOOKING ON YOUTUBE) or if an overheating graphics card can cause damage to other hardware and its like my motherboard/processor or something.

InvalidError

Titan
If the GPU got damaged from overheating, it is possible that internal errors are triggering a reset to prevent or at least limit data corruption.

Another possibility is that high GPU temperatures are merely coincidental and a dying PSU is the actual cause of the reboots/restarts as is frequently the case in PCs that worked fine for months or even years, then mysteriously begin randomly rebooting/restarting increasingly frequently for increasingly unclear or trivial reasons.

Not likely.
I should clarify that damage to other parts is not likely, but a damaged graphics card can cause unknown sorts of problems.

See if you can't run some graphics intensive stress tests to see if your graphics card is ok now.

malik11

Prominent
Aug 6, 2017
if temps are exceeding 90c it can cause the pc to restart but unlikely. if your gpu's fans are broken then just replace the gpu cooler ?

ASK THE COMMUNITY

TRENDING THREADS