Question Can a dead CMOS battery cause a pc to not boot?

SawmMawia

Great
Jan 17, 2021
For months,maybe from last year
I have been getting a CMOS Checksum Error evertime i boot up my pc
Now the power button doesn't work even when i press it,nothing happens
Can a dead cmos battery cause a pc to be unable to boot

Motherboard: Gigabyte H61M S2P B3 rev 1.0

PC Tailor

Illustrious
Ambassador
Dead CMOS would not really cause a no-boot situation. It simply helps store BIOS settings. It can, but just the CMOS battery being dead not necessarily. However a CMOS Checksum Error could potentially be a BIOS issue.

If the PC is literally doing nothing when you press the power button, then it could even be PSU or MB.
What is your full system specification including PSU make and model?
Did you have any other symptoms leading up to this?

I would go through this first:
"No POST", "system won't boot", and "no video output" troubleshooting checklist | Tom's Hardware Forum (tomshardware.com)

Last edited:

SawmMawia

Great
Jan 17, 2021
Dead CMOS would not really cause a no-boot situation. It simply helps store BIOS settings.
However a CMOS Checksum Error could potentially be a BIOS issue.

If the PC is literally doing nothing when you press the power button, then it could even be PSU or MB.
What is your full system specification including PSU make and model?
Did you have any other symptoms leading up to this?

I would go through this first:
"No POST", "system won't boot", and "no video output" troubleshooting checklist | Tom's Hardware Forum (tomshardware.com)
PSU:Supercomp SEP 500
The PSU is fine,i tested it on my friend's pc
I am guessing its the motherboard,but i dont know why it will suddenly stop working cause i took good care of it

A dead CMOS battery will definitely prevent the system from Booting properly and drivers may stop working. Your computer will sometimes turn off or not start and may show startup errors explaining an issue with the battery. The checksum error is the cause of a dead or dying CMOS battery
Sometimes the system starts but Date and time have to be reset.

The battery (CR2032) is only worth about $4 so worth replacing every 2-3Years.

Reactions: SawmMawia

jasonf2

Distinguished
Seriously corrupted cmos can cause a no boot situation, but you typically will at least get to a post screen. Put a new battery in, jumper reset the cmos and see if it starts up. The battery is going to be 5-10 dollars and you won't be out anything else. If that doesn't fix it you have bigger issues.

Jacob 51

Notable
Dec 31, 2020
For months,maybe from last year
I have been getting a CMOS Checksum Error evertime i boot up my pc
Now the power button doesn't work even when i press it,nothing happens
Can a dead cmos battery cause a pc to be unable to boot

Motherboard: Gigabyte H61M S2P B3 rev 1.0
The answer is YES. H61 motherboards have this problem. I have a Zebronics H61 which didn't start with a dead cmos battery.

Reactions: SawmMawia