[SOLVED] Can a dead CPU cause a system to not run past the DRAM signal on the mobo

Feb 13, 2021
I overclocked my cpu after I replaced some grinding fans in my system. I decided that it would be a good Idea to oc my cpu, which ended up in a boot loop. I took the cpu out of my system and accidentally bent a pin on the CPU, in unbent it and continued with the process. I also oc my ram from 3200 to 3600 GHz, so I took out my ram and inserted it into the mobo. When I installed my cpu I noticed there was thermal paste on the CPU pins and the mobo socket. But, when I turned my pc on everything was working fine untill it wouldn’t run past the DRAM light signal on my mobo. No beeps, no screen signal. My issue is which component is causing the problem. My mobo because of the paste on the cpu socket, the cpu because I unbent a pin and found paste on the pins, or my ram just isn’t functioning, my RGB worked on my ram when I turned my pc on.

Ryzen 7 3700X
Asus Prime X570-Pro
Corsair Vengeance RGB-Pro 16gb (2 x 8gb)
EVGA 750 BQ, 80+ Bronze 750 Watt

Solution
Also, when I toon my cpu fan out of my case, my cpu came right out of the socket and stuck to the cooler, I didn’t put that much thermal paste on my cpu for it to just stick to the cooler, Should this be a worry?
Check carefully for any bent pins on the CPU and straighten them. But it is a worry as even if you didn't bend pins you may have damaged a socket contact enough it doesn't make reliable contact.

Have you reset CMOS?

zotn_dre

Distinguished
May 3, 2010
I take it you already cleared CMOS to remove all OC settings ? In the past I received some CPUs with bent pins and after straightening them they all worked fine so I would not expect that to be the issue if they fit in the slot nicely.
Obviously you should find a way to clean the thermal paste on the pins so everything makes good contact. I was thinking with a small brush; perhaps tooth brush ?

Feb 13, 2021
I take it you already cleared CMOS to remove all OC settings ? In the past I received some CPUs with bent pins and after straightening them they all worked fine so I would not expect that to be the issue if they fit in the slot nicely.
Obviously you should find a way to clean the thermal paste on the pins so everything makes good contact. I was thinking with a small brush; perhaps tooth brush ?
I cleared off all of the thermal paste on the cpu pins and the socket and still get the dram signal, I also only used one ram stick on the first slot (I used both of them at different times) and still got the same outcome.

Feb 13, 2021
I cleared off all of the thermal paste on the cpu pins and the socket and still get the dram signal, I also only used one ram stick on the first slot (I used both of them at different times) and still got the same outcome.
Also, when I toon my cpu fan out of my case, my cpu came right out of the socket and stuck to the cooler, I didn’t put that much thermal paste on my cpu for it to just stick to the cooler, Should this be a worry?

Check carefully for any bent pins on the CPU and straighten them. But it is a worry as even if you didn't bend pins you may have damaged a socket contact enough it doesn't make reliable contact.

Have you reset CMOS?

Solution

TRENDING THREADS