[SOLVED] Can a degraded MOBO cause this behaviour?

Jan 8, 2021
Hi,

PSU: Cooler Master 850W Age ~5 years
GPU: GTX 1080
RAM: 32gb (4x8) DDR3
Motherboard: Gigabyte G1 Assassin 2

I've had the same Gigabyte G1 Assassin 2 motherboard for 8 years now.
After a couple of months of not being used, and a short stint being left in a garage, I've been unable to get beyond the bios, with the screen displaying shrunken in the middle of the monitor.
Trying to boot without the display cable plugged into the GPU seems to allow the system to boot further, as I have to hold the power button to shut it down in this case. Plugging the cable in at this point displays nothing.
I have already tried each of my RAM sticks individually, and they all seem to be functioning fine.

I was worried it was my GTX 1080 GPU that was the problem, or maybe my PSU, but I have since tried swapping out parts with my Brother's computer, and I have found that:
The 1080 GPU works in his PC, with either of our PSUs
His GT640 actually works in my PC with either of our PSUs, and allows me to boot in all the way to my desktop.

Is it possible that my MOBO has become damaged in a way that would prevent it from booting while using the more powerful 1080, yet still be able to work with the 640?

Thank you for your time

Last edited:
Solution
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

When posting a thread of troubleshooting nature, it's customary to include your full system's specs. Please include your system's specs like so:
CPU:
Motherboard:
Ram:
SSD/HDD:
GPU:
PSU:
Case:

Include the age of the PSU alongside it's make and model.

Moisture and humidity can and will affect the power delivery area or the capacitors in both the PSU and the motherboard so, that could be one cause.

Lutfij

Titan
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

When posting a thread of troubleshooting nature, it's customary to include your full system's specs. Please include your system's specs like so:
CPU:
Motherboard:
Ram:
SSD/HDD:
GPU:
PSU:
Case:

Include the age of the PSU alongside it's make and model.

Moisture and humidity can and will affect the power delivery area or the capacitors in both the PSU and the motherboard so, that could be one cause.

Solution