Can a display driver crash result from a broken monitor?

C_minor

Reputable
Jan 13, 2015
The monitor does seem to be working, but once the display driver crashed and sometimes the screen flickers in divided sections like this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2lmgtfUbntQ This only happens occasionally when I start the computer.

The weird thing is it's a new PC from Dell, a high-end one. It had these problems, so I got it replaced, and the new computer I just received today had the same flickering problem. It is very strange as I have used this monitor for other computers within the past month and have never experienced problems before.

I feel like it has to be the monitor though, especially since when I plugged the original computer back in, the resolution was wrong. I could not fix it in the control panel. I accidentally bumped the monitor cable loose hard, and suddenly the screen resolution is back to normal.

I will get a new monitor tomorrow to test it. But could a broken monitor crash the display driver? I can't remember exactly which driver it was, I think it said Windows 8 HD, which is strange as I am running Windows 7.

Sorry for the long post. Any help is appreciated.

Solution
I've never heard of that happening, but the best thing to do is test it with the other monitor. Let me know how it goes tomorrow, and in the mean time, try swapping the power and display cable. There's a (small) chance the problem lies within there.

Brillis Wuce

Distinguished
I've never heard of that happening, but the best thing to do is test it with the other monitor. Let me know how it goes tomorrow, and in the mean time, try swapping the power and display cable. There's a (small) chance the problem lies within there.

Solution

TRENDING THREADS