Can a dying PSU make other components produce coilwhine?

Benjamin_17

Reputable
Jan 13, 2016
Im a bit confused at the moment. Im having all kinds of weird sounds in my computer. My CPU seems to coil whine when i start up a game.

I also have a ROG Front Base and when i plugin my headset or speakers into the front base, im hearing all kinds of computer sounds, some of i hear coming out of my pc when not wearing a headset. When I remove the sata power from the front base all the weird sounds are basicly gone. The thing doesnt seem to need the sata power.

Sometimes my wireless card is making sounds too whenever it uses bandwidth.

Sometimes in games (only tried csgo) the game will stutter for just a second. This only happens once every 5-10 minutes. (Pc had never ever had this before these sounds)

The power in bios seems to be good thought. 12v is just above 12v 3v is just above 3v etc. Removing hardware like my 2nd gpu doesnt improve a thing.

I dont have an extra power supply but before i buy a new one. How likely is my psu the cause of this madness?
Can a PSU tranfer coil whine to other hardware?

Relevant specs

Asus Maximus VII Hero
I7-4790k
Corsair hydro h110 gt
SLI Asus Strix 970
Corsair RM750

cpu thing seems normal, but the wifi card is strange.

try going into power options
select high performance
change plan settings
change advanced power settings
processor power management
minimum processor state
change to 5%

see if that helps at all.

Benjamin_17

Reputable
Jan 13, 2016

That seems to reduce the cpu sound. Has no effect on the rog front base fan controller

Benjamin_17

Reputable
Jan 13, 2016

Might be worth a try. Thinking if the RM 850 then and if it doesnt help i could sell the RM750

more wattage wont help you with this setup and wattage is not your issue. i'd get a different make/model. it could just come down to that one component you mentioned not working well with the rm series. on the other hand, that component could cause the same noise problem with every brand/model. all you can do is remove the culprit part or try a different psu. either way if you keep that front panel connected you may never find a fix. what front panel are you referring to by the way?

Benjamin_17

Reputable
Jan 13, 2016

Its a fan controller https://www.asus.com/nl/Motherboard-Accessories/ROG_Front_Base/

Benjamin_17

Reputable
Jan 13, 2016
Is it normal that when I changed the power plan in windows from performance to energy saving the sound of whining is gone from my CPU but my PC also seems to be a lot slower. Even opening a browser is a bit laggy. Changing back to high performance mode and everything is smooth!