Question Can a factory overclocking be unstable?

Jun 30, 2019
Hello,

Following an issue of random Black screens on a new built pc, with these specs:

Operating System
Windows 10 Home 64-bit
CPU
Intel Core i5 @ 2.90GHz
Coffee Lake 14nm Technology
RAM
16,0 Go Dual-Channel Unknown @ 1466MHz (15-16-16-35)
Motherboard
Micro-Star International Co. Ltd. Z390-A PRO (MS-7B98) (U3E1)
Graphics
8192MB ATI Radeon RX 580 Series (MSI)
Storage
931GB Western Digital WDC WD10EZEX-08WN4A0 (SATA)
PSU
Power EVGA 600 BR, 600W,

and several fruitless troubleshooting, noticing that on several threads people were having the same issue as me because of an unstable overclocking, I have wondered if it may be the same for me since my Radeon RX 580 is factory overclocked.

Here is a pic of the OC BIOS:
1563634310-20190720-162735.jpg

So, is it possible that this is the cause of my problems?

Dunlop0078

Titan
Ambassador
Unlikely, if it is you cant overclock or underclock a GPU in the BIOS. You would use a program like msi afterbuner in windows to overclock or underclock a GPU, you can try under clocking if you want to rule it out. Since you don't know what memory kit you have it would probably be best to turn on XMP (Extreme memory profile) in the BIOS this will automatically apply the rated speeds timing and voltage of the memory kit.

CPU and GPU temps under load? Have you checked event viewer?

Jun 30, 2019
The issue tend to happen under load specifically. However when watching the temps before it happens (I had ran an OCCT test) the temps were pretty low (under 50°) I will try to monitor them more precisely.

So to downclock with MSI After burner i just have to reduce the core clock frequency?

I'll check event viewer

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Don't know why you have XMP disabled and why use Legacy bios? Neither the cpu nor the gpu are comfortable on Legacy, try moving it to UEFI. The Rx580 doesn't even support legacy bios, it's a UEFI card. And is turbo mode enabled? Looks like maybe not since the cpu is at base frequency.

Jun 30, 2019
Here's a guide I put together for tweaking AMD GPUs using AMDs already-installed WattMan utility (open AMD Settings and click the WattMan tab at the top)

Change XMP from Disabled to Profile 1.

No SSD?!?!?!

What monitor are you using. What type of cable are you using to connect the monitor to the GPU?

Hello, my ssd is a western digital WD blue, 1 TB
My monitor is Acer KG241Qbmiix FreeSync
And Im using a HDMI cable (only plugs on my gpu are hdmi and dvi-d)

I'm checking your guide!

TRENDING THREADS