Question Can a failed BIOS update permanently damage the motherboard ?

Nov 8, 2022
Hello Everyone,

I asked MSI Tech support for updates on the release date for the next BIOS update for MSI PRO X670-P WIFI for fixing POST times. He sent me a download link to try an unreleased version of BIOS from the BIOS team, and this version v1.51 is not even released to the public on the official support page for MSI X670-P-WIFI page https://www.msi.com/Motherboard/PRO-X670-P-WIFI/support. (The latest version of BIOS is v1.4)

After applying the BIOS v1.51 the MSI tech support gave me, my PC booted to Windows and began immediately Blue screening, I restarted the PC and it blue-screened again.
I tried going to BIOS, and the BIOS page literally froze. I had to force shut down my pc and restart again to get into the Flash BIOS by USB screen, and I was able to revert my BIOS back to v1.4

Could a failed BIOS update damage my motherboard permanently, even though I was able to revert my BIOS back to the working version?

And am I at fault for trying out a BIOS version that an official MSI support gave me?

Here's proof of my chat with MSI support, you can see he gave me the link for an unreleased BIOS version.

A failed Bios update only makes the Bios unusable, the motherboard is intact.

Unfortunately, as Bios is the first and only gateway to communicate with your motherboard, if the Bios is dead, the motherboard is dead too.

But as you say that you can revert the Bios to ver. 1.4, I believe that it's OK for you.

Nov 8, 2022
Thanks for the reply!
If I'm able to revert back to the previous version 1.4, could there be any stuff left over from 1.51 BIOS version? Or is it as long as I could revert it, all settings and BIOs code reverted back to the exact 1.4 BIOs version?

Dec 26, 2022
Hi ChadMeat, I built a pc recently with this same motherboard and continuously find myself with blue screens of death. Did you find a solution to your problem? I have the latest AMD Ryzen 9 7950x. I was able to get through a windows 11 install fully after a long period of trouble. I rebooted it a few days ago and now it will not allow me to get past the blue screen of death.

I'm about to call MSI about this, but I wanted to ask if you had any luck.

𝗧𝗵𝗮𝗻𝗸 𝘆𝗼𝘂
Aiconan90

Last edited by a moderator:
Hello Everyone,

I asked MSI Tech support for updates on the release date for the next BIOS update for MSI PRO X670-P WIFI for fixing POST times. He sent me a download link to try an unreleased version of BIOS from the BIOS team, and this version v1.51 is not even released to the public on the official support page for MSI X670-P-WIFI page https://www.msi.com/Motherboard/PRO-X670-P-WIFI/support. (The latest version of BIOS is v1.4)

After applying the BIOS v1.51 the MSI tech support gave me, my PC booted to Windows and began immediately Blue screening, I restarted the PC and it blue-screened again.
I tried going to BIOS, and the BIOS page literally froze. I had to force shut down my pc and restart again to get into the Flash BIOS by USB screen, and I was able to revert my BIOS back to v1.4

Could a failed BIOS update damage my motherboard permanently, even though I was able to revert my BIOS back to the working version?

And am I at fault for trying out a BIOS version that an official MSI support gave me?

Here's proof of my chat with MSI support, you can see he gave me the link for an unreleased BIOS version.

this is probably caused by RAM, different bios version can change ram training methods which can cause compatibility issues, you could run memtest, to know for sure

The Bios's entire memory is erased before the new update takes place.

Only one version at a time.
that was true for BIOS, but he has UEFI BIOS, where it updates only some parts of it instead of flashing full rom image

Nov 8, 2022
Hi ChadMeat, I built a pc recently with this same motherboard and continuously find myself with blue screens of death. Did you find a solution to your problem? I have the latest AMD Ryzen 9 7950x. I was able to get through a windows 11 install fully after a long period of trouble. I rebooted it a few days ago and now it will not allow me to get past the blue screen of death.

I'm about to call MSI about this, but I wanted to ask if you had any luck.

𝗧𝗵𝗮𝗻𝗸 𝘆𝗼𝘂
Aiconan90
After rolling back my BIOS update, my PC has been running fine without blue screens. Maybe turn off EXPO on your ram if it's on and see how it goes?