Can a failing hard drive reboot your pc whilist gaming?

Jordan McGarret

Reputable
Jun 30, 2015
So When I try to do anything that make my gpu run full load, it restarts. I've been monitoring the psu voltages but they dont seem to drop, while the gpu is getting pretty hot which is apparently normal for the gtx 970. Its not in dangerous ranges but my pc still reboots after like 75c or so. I cranked the fans up for my 970 all the way, and it lasted alot longer without rebooting, but it still rebooted with 100% fan speed. My case ventilation and cable management is pretty good. But heres the thing, when I ran my personal fan up agaisnt my gpu, with side panel off, it lasted even longer, but it still crashed. Leading me to believe the gpu's coolers are faulty or something of the sort. Can anyone help me out?
Here's what ive ruled out:
Power Surges
Faulty Ram
Cpu heating issues
hard drive issues
driver issues
case airflow
Specs:

CPU: Intel i5 4690k
GPU: MSI Twin frozr gtx 970
RAM: HyperX fury 4x2gb @1600hz
PSU: EVGA Supernova GS 650w gold
HD: WDC blue 1tb( nearing 3 yrs old)
MB: Asus z97-a

Jordan McGarret

Reputable
Jun 30, 2015

I have not overclocked anything and I ran S.M.A.R.T with everything average, should I still run the test for bad sectors? Also id like to add that some days my pc seems comepletely fine and other days it restarts extremely frequently

Jordan McGarret

Reputable
Jun 30, 2015

I have two PSU's this evga one, and a corsair cx750. I haven't used the corsair in this build because I was led to believe it was the reason my 960 died earlier. Ill rma soon, and see if it is indeed the evga psu. Also, I've ordered a SSD to put my os on, so if it still reboots, then it wasnt my harddrive which did pass sys /scannow and S.M.A.R.T. What would be the next thing to fail?

oczdude8

Distinguished

Pretty much any other component can be faulty, but none that would cause the symptom u described other then PSU fault, overheating, or GPU driver issues.

TRENDING THREADS