[SOLVED] Can a faulty BIOS chip be the cause of all of this?

JohnyThePony

Commendable
Sep 4, 2021
I have an ancient Biostar G41D3C with an E5700 dual core, a GT 730 and added a Seagate Terascale 4TB HDD like 2 months ago. Some weeks ago the OS used to freeze a lot , then the date and time also changed randomly, then things went back to normal. Until a week ago, I shut down the pc with an external HDD attached to it and when I boot up, this error : " 01 USB mass storage devices found and configured" and the PC wouldn't pass the POST screen, I removed the external HDD and " 00 USB mass storage devices found and configured" happened, also not moving beyond the POST screen. I removed the cmos battery, waited like an hour, plugged it back in, and the pc now wouldn't even POST. I flashed the BIOS and did the pins reset...when eventually did booted up (with the video card in), froze at the 3 min mark, after that it kept crashing at various stages of booting up, with the CPU fan starting and then shutting down, to start again and then boot up. I removed the video card and managed to boot it up, hasn't crashed since. But when I put the video card in, it won't boot, or it won't boot at all, at this point I'm at my wit's end. Can this be the BIOS chip being damaged or faulty for some reason, or maybe the mobo? Help will be gratly appreciated

Solution
I flashed the BIOS
you mean updated to the latest available BIOS?
I removed the video card and managed to boot it up, hasn't crashed since. But when I put the video card in, it won't boot
try a different PCIe slot.
also try the card in a functioning system to make sure it hasn't just died.
Can this be the BIOS chip being damaged or faulty for some reason, or maybe the mobo?
with all of the different issues piling up i would just count this as a dying board and a good excuse to update to a decent chipset not ~12+ years old.

if you can still enter the BIOS you can try flashing it again,
if not using the latest make sure to download that.

though i think i would just be offering this thing up for sacrifice to the...
I flashed the BIOS
you mean updated to the latest available BIOS?
I removed the video card and managed to boot it up, hasn't crashed since. But when I put the video card in, it won't boot
try a different PCIe slot.
also try the card in a functioning system to make sure it hasn't just died.
Can this be the BIOS chip being damaged or faulty for some reason, or maybe the mobo?
with all of the different issues piling up i would just count this as a dying board and a good excuse to update to a decent chipset not ~12+ years old.

if you can still enter the BIOS you can try flashing it again,
if not using the latest make sure to download that.

though i think i would just be offering this thing up for sacrifice to the local hazardous materials recycling.

Solution