Can a faulty CPU effect power consumption?

3vangelica

Honorable
May 20, 2014
I have had a faulty CPU for a while now. It overheated a few months ago because I didn't have sufficient cooling for it. (I am currently saving for a new one but cannot do without my PC in the meantime which is why I'm still using it)
Since it overheated I regularly get various windows errors, programs failing and blue screens for seemingly a different thing every time.
I asked a techie friend what the most likely cause was and he assured me it was definitely the CPU because if it was the Motherboard the PC wouldn't boot at all.
More recently though, when i run intensive programs the fans whirl like crazy and the PC has seemingly started to short? (The monitor flickers and even the lights in my room flicker too).
Any advice would be gratefully received.

Thankyou.

My PC Specs. are:

ASUS P8Z77-V LX (MoBo)
Intel Core i7 2700k @ 3.5Ghz (CPU)
AMD HD6950 2Gb (GPU)
Kingston HyperX Genesis 8Gb @ 1600Mhz (RAM)
Corsair RM Series 850 Watt (PSU)
Noctua NH-D14 (Cooling)

Solution
Any faulty component can have an adverse effect on power consumption, as every component draws power.

In your case the most likely culprit is the CPU, but don't rule out the motherboard just yet. There's still the possibility that the excess heat may have damaged it.

As for the lights flickering in your room when you start a CPU-intensive application, that could be related. The extra power required from the (damaged) CPU may be pulling too much power from the PSU, which in turn could be struggling to draw that from the wall. That's only a theory mind, and there could be a hundred other reasons. If it only started to happen after the CPU overheated, then logically, that's the cause. If that's true, I'd urge you to keep an eye on your PSU.
Any faulty component can have an adverse effect on power consumption, as every component draws power.

In your case the most likely culprit is the CPU, but don't rule out the motherboard just yet. There's still the possibility that the excess heat may have damaged it.

As for the lights flickering in your room when you start a CPU-intensive application, that could be related. The extra power required from the (damaged) CPU may be pulling too much power from the PSU, which in turn could be struggling to draw that from the wall. That's only a theory mind, and there could be a hundred other reasons. If it only started to happen after the CPU overheated, then logically, that's the cause. If that's true, I'd urge you to keep an eye on your PSU.

Solution