[SOLVED] Can a faulty PSU cause the GPU to glitch out?

garytmsf

Prominent
Apr 29, 2018
Specs:

CPU: Athlon II 860k @ 3.7 GHz quad-core
GPU: Gigabyte Radeon HD 7870 OC Edition
RAM: 8 GB Kingston DDR3 1600 MHz

A year ago I swapped my R7 240 for an HD7870 OC,at that time I also swapped my PSU since I had no 8-pin connectors for the GPU on my previous one. Since then,my PC would sometimes lock-up/freeze with a loud buzzing sound coming through the headphones. At that time I was still running Win7 x64 and I thought an OS upgrade would resolve the issue,but it didn't and it still happens on Win 10.

Today,my PC crashed without buzzing,to a brown screen. I did the usual,shut the power off and rebooted it,it worked for some time,only to crash to a pale blue screen later on. I rebooted it,again only to be met with 3 vertical red lines and a bunch of horizontal yellowish ones. I shut it all down,opened the case,checked the cables,pulled out the GPU,looked around the cables some more and put it all back in in the end,tightly secured.
The same happened 2 more times,finally dissappearing on the 3rd reboot.

I think this is a clear sign of a faulty GPU,but I'm also suspicious of the PSU. Since I swapped them both at the same time I can't pinpoint the culprit.

Any help would be appreciated!

Thanks in advance!

Solution
Would also help to know what motherboard and the make and model of your power supply.

...And yes, a faulty power supply could be the cause of your system crashes.

-Wolf sends