Can a fried CPU kill a motherboard?

ALELOCOOOO

Reputable
Feb 26, 2015
Long story short: i tried a CPU (i5 4690k) that i wasn't sure if it was fried or not, on a brand new Asrock H81M-VG4. The system tried to boot and then it went off.
Then i tried a perfectly working i3 4150 on it and it tries to boot for less than 1 seconds and then shuts off.
So, did i fry the 3 things?

Thanks.

McHenryB

Admirable
Not that I am aware of. As far as I know, the only way to check is to get hold of a processor that is supported on all BIOS versions for your m/b; and you would certainly need this to update the BIOS. Any of your mates got an old CPU they could lend you?

You say the m/b is "brand new". From a retail outlet? If so it really shouldn't have a BIOS that old; perhaps it's time to RMA it.

ALELOCOOOO

Reputable
Feb 26, 2015
Yes, ill receive a new of these motherboard tomorrow. However, im not putting in any of the proccesors i have available on it. Im afraid both are fried. Ill wait to get a new proccessor. Man my situation sucks big time...

ALELOCOOOO

Reputable
Feb 26, 2015
Ok, brought the motherboard to the retail store i bought it. the guy putted one of his ram and cpu and it worked. Bought an i3 4160 (didn't know these even existed lol) and now everything is working fine.
I putted the bad i3 and PC doesnt boot.
So it seems like the i3 4150 and the i5 4390k are both fried. However they dont look damaged at all, all its parts are there. The only problem is that they dont work. Is there any way to fix em? Or are they just dead?
Edit: pictures of the i3 4150 that doesnt work (the i5 was sent to official intel RMA):

Back w/flash: http://i.imgur.com/MkxMCfe.jpg
Back w/o flash: http://i.imgur.com/oYMEMrW.jpg
Front: http://i.imgur.com/QeYuHvn.jpg

dgingeri

Distinguished
I'm glad you found the board is working properly. As for the CPUs... I'd say you may need to work on your anti-static handling procedures. Static shock, even so small you can't feel it, can kill electronics without damaging the look of the device. It is very possible that you managed to shock the CPU as you took it out of the package or put it in the motherboard, or somewhere in between.

Make sure and either have a constant grounded connection when handing electronics through an anti-static strap, or, at the very least, touch bare metal that is grounded every few seconds while handing computer parts. I usually have a computer or power supply nearby that is plugged in to ground myself. It doesn't have to be on, but just plugged in. The casing of any power supply is grounded, and a case touching it metal to metal is therefore also grounded. (Cases painted internally are not properly grounded, so don't count those.) Most importantly, though, keep any computer components in anti-static bags or containers as long as they are not installed. Don't leave parts laying around out in the open if you plan on using them later.

ALELOCOOOO

Reputable
Feb 26, 2015
The i5 died when i put it on a Z97 Gaming 5 with messed up cpu socket pins.
The i3 died when i put it on a h85m-b with messed up pins.

Dont know why this is not a topic of concern all over the internet.
DONT EVER PUT A CPU ON A SOCKET IF YOU ARE NOT 100% SURE THAT THE PINS ARE 100% FIRM. YOU WILL FRY YOUR CPU.

dgingeri

Distinguished
There's also the process of installing LGA CPUs. They must be lowered into the socket straight down, not at an angle or sliding over in any way. That can cause pins to contact the wrong pads or some to not contact pads at all. Sometimes, it is temporary and the pins bounce back when the CPU is removed, sometimes the damage to the pins is permanent and the board becomes useless.

Latest posts