[SOLVED] Can a GPU IO port catch rust?

I live in India and here in my city humidity is bit high during the monsoon around 70-80%. In summer its lower around 50%.
Getting a dehumidifier is not possible as my living room is quite big and getting a dehumidifier will be a big investment which I will not be able to take on now.
So I got a new Zotac 1660super last winter for dirt cheap. They don't come with those plastic inserts in the ports.
So will the ports get rusted overtime? Anyway to prevent the rusting?

I have attached a picture of one of the hdmi port of my television that is in the same room for nearly 6yrs as a reference. They should be the same quality I guess.

TV
NzOMxbB.jpg

GPU
oreqmhe.jpg

Solution
It's possible, especially in areas with a lot of humidity, but pretty hard due to the fact most ports and their pins are coated in thin gold linings or steel which prevent rust (unless they're cheaply made to save production costs). You can spray rust inhibitors like Rust-oleum on a small brush and coat the inside yourself just in-case. Though please don't use a lot, just a thin layer coating will work fine. More detailed instructions
It's possible, especially in areas with a lot of humidity, but pretty hard due to the fact most ports and their pins are coated in thin gold linings or steel which prevent rust (unless they're cheaply made to save production costs). You can spray rust inhibitors like Rust-oleum on a small brush and coat the inside yourself just in-case. Though please don't use a lot, just a thin layer coating will work fine. More detailed instructions

Reactions: rounakr94
Solution
The pins usually don't rust as you said but the actual steel/metal casing does. I have seen some badly rusted sapphire cards namely the 580 Nitro, where the entire IO was rusted except the pins.
Will using dust plugs from other GPU's help? As spraying/painting with clearcoat will void the warranty and rust will also void the warranty.

The pins usually don't rust as you said but the actual steel/metal casing does. I have seen some badly rusted sapphire cards namely the 580 Nitro, where the entire IO was rusted except the pins.
Will using dust plugs from other GPU's help? As spraying/painting with clearcoat will void the warranty and rust will also void the warranty.

If you have plugs for those ports then they should help in slowing the progress of rusting. Though it's still not a complete vacuum and thus exposed to the atmosphere, so rust will still inevitably occur, but probably by the time you get new equipment it won't matter.

Reactions: rounakr94
If you have plugs for those ports then they should help in slowing the progress of rusting. Though it's still not a complete vacuum and thus exposed to the atmosphere, so rust will still inevitably occur, but probably by the time you get new equipment it won't matter.
Yes, I can get hold of some of those plugs.
And considering the HDMI port of the Television which has seen 6 monsoon seasons in the same room hasn't rusted (not to be confused with oxidised) I think that even if it happens it will be 2-3years and by then I will probably upgrade the GPU. And oxidation or tarnishing wont void warranty I think.

Last edited:
Reactions: Newtonius
Yes, I can get hold of some of those plugs.
And considering the HDMI port of the Television which has seen 6 monsoon seasons in the same room hasn't rusted (not to be confused with oxidised) I think that even if it happens it will be 2-3years and by then I will probably upgrade the GPU. And oxidation or tarnishing wont void warranty I think.

Sounds like you have a gameplan then.