Can a graphics card cause harm to other components?

tokhaar_bell

Prominent
Oct 1, 2017
I know this is a bit of a strange question, but recently I bought an ATI Radeon HD 3450 (ASUS, 256MB) for just £3 as a back up card in case something goes wrong with my current one.

What concerns me however, it's a very cheap card and I don't know the history of it. Is there anyway that it could cause a short or any damage to the motherboard, CPU, memory or anything else?

I only ask because like most people, I don't have money to throw away if it does end up doing something when I could just buy a cheap system with the right slot.

Current specs:
Motherboard: Z270-A
CPU: 7600k
Memory: 16GB DDR4 Vengence
Graphics card: ASUS ROG Strix GTX 1080
PSU: EVGA 650w Gold
SSD+HDD

First post so please excuse anything I've missed or if this is in the wrong place.

tokhaar_bell

Prominent
Oct 1, 2017
It's not just for my system, I've built 2 other systems (for my family and my partners family) so it would be handy for those as well as any others that I may encounter. If the price was a bit higher and cex was more reliable, I'd be happy to just shove it in the board and see if it works.

Of course using the igpu would be great to check if the system will display, but the card would show if the slot stopped working.