[SOLVED] Can a hdmi cable burn the gpu port

thekillerx10

Honorable
Apr 12, 2018
So i was using my pc normally today and suddenly the pc have turned off and it the screen turned black without the pc closing

So first i thought the cable moved from its place so i made sure everything is okay
Also my cable is vga but i use vga to hdmi connector, i tried to connect the vga to my motherboard without the convertor it worked,so i thought only the convertor is burnt

Then i connected an hdmi cable from the gpu to my tv monitor it didn't work i tried to connect the hdmi to my motherboard it worked, so now what isn't working is the hdmi port in the gpu and the convertor weird that the vga cable is still working

However the gpu is seems working and the fans are working only display isn't working

So the gpu is still new i bought it from 2 months or 3 should i return it because it is still in the warranty or get an vga to display port cable

Any help appreciated

Solution
So do you advice me to just but a vga to dp cable or just return the whole card (That is much harder and i will take time to find another card)
I would try another HDMI cable, just to make sure is not the cable.
If you don't want to go with the return process then get a DP to VGA cable.

Some companies could send you the a replacement GPU before you return the faulty unit, but they will required a credit card on file.
A HDMI cable or port could be damaged if there is a short somewhere, no grounded PSU or electrical issues (e.g. reversed polarity).
It could be that the HDMI port was faulty or flimsy.
It could well be that the HDMI cable is not making proper contact with the port pins.

So do you advice me to just but a vga to dp cable or just return the whole card (That is much harder and i will take time to find another card)

Some companies could send you the a replacement GPU before you return the faulty unit, but they will required a credit card on file.

Solution

thekillerx10

Honorable
Apr 12, 2018

Well thanks for your help but i had tried several things it is not the cable it isn't the gpu, i have tried the gpu in the other pci express slot which isn't pci express x16 and suddenly the gpu worked so i guess the motherboard's first pci express slot?

Well thanks for your help but i had tried several things it is not the cable it isn't the gpu, i have tried the gpu in the other pci express slot which isn't pci express x16 and suddenly the gpu worked so i guess the motherboard's first pci express slot?
VGA to hdmi connectors are active devices and have an digital to analog converter built in so that's probably part that died.

thekillerx10

Honorable
Apr 12, 2018
VGA to hdmi connectors are active devices and have an digital to analog converter built in so that's probably part that died.
Update : i reset the cmos and tried the gpu in the first slot again and it worked with dvi-d i will try hdmi now to see if the port is working or not, when i plugged it in first the pc have restarted like 6 times but i tried entering safe mode it worked then tried to normal windows it worked